Hello

Moderator: Mods

lilgiggles1012

Hello

Post by lilgiggles1012 »

Hello my name is Christina. I am new to the site. I am a proud owner of a 4 month Indian Ringneck. His name is Izzet and he is a blue, he is at the nipping stage and has been for about a month now does anyone got any advise on it other then what the article said.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Re: Hello

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family. Congratulations on your new baby. Nipping should be ignored, push past the nip or simply leave the bird for a short time and try again a few minutes later. Most of the time you can move past the nip to step them up or roll out of the nip if you understand what I am trying to say. Do not yell at the bird as this will reinforce the bad behaviour, the yelling is seen as attention. Anyway I will move the post into an area where you will get much more advice and experiences from others.

Take care.

Angie
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

lilgiggles1012

Post by lilgiggles1012 »

He got over pretty fast.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

That's great. Would love to hear how you approached it.

Ellie.
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

This can be difficult if you're not used to bites and the body language leading up to the bite, so good to hear he got the message pretty fast- I'm sure other members or guests would love to know your secret!

Loo :)
Loo :)
lilgiggles1012

Post by lilgiggles1012 »

All I did was ignore the fact he was trying to bit and while I had him out I kept him busy the whole time. Like we played what I call the step up game just keep having him step up hand the hand like he was climbing stairs and then he just stopped took like 2 or 3 weeks
MissK

Post by MissK »

You done great!
-MissK
Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Welcome sounds like you did a good job of re-directing his unwanted behavior . :wink:
Just takin a break !

lilgiggles1012

Post by lilgiggles1012 »

I work with children everyday and I felt that its pretty much working with a child. Thank you very much...