Bobby feathers...

Moderator: Mods

kanundra

Bobby feathers...

Post by kanundra »

Hi there so seeing as I didn't want to totally hijack the other thread. I'm posting the pics of his feathers here.

He lost another this morning, when across the room to see me. What alarmed me about this one is that it really has been hacked....

The first feather is one he bent in the cage and knawed at till he snapped it off, it's the latter one which looks like it's been a bad butcher job on wing clipping.

It seems to me that he could be moulting. I'm going to upload a video of him preening and let you guys see it. I don't know if it's overly aggressive or not, never owning a bird before. However, I did spot within his wings 'new growth' tiny pin prick sticking out things inside which he also seemed very interested in.

I've never handled a bird before. And wouldn't know what I am looking for or how to catch him. At present I'm only just gaining his trust with his fav foods etc.

But I'm thinking a trip to a vet might be a good port of call.

His diet has improved loads since we first got him. (Although I must admit at present he's still on crappy cheap parrot food as I just went out and bought what he was already on) I know now there are too many sunflower seeds and bad things in it. He is eating loads of fresh veg and fruit though. And heading into summer... he's much better this morning but still a little cranky as far as I can tell.

Anyway, here's the pics and the video link will follow...

Thanks for looking.

Okay can't post pictures. Any ideas?

Here's a link to my blog I've posted them there instead :) lol

http://kanundra.wordpress.com/2013/05/2 ... -feathers/
MissK

Re: Bobby feathers...

Post by MissK »

Hi there. It's always a good idea to spin by the vet now and then for an evaluation of the state of the bird, inside and out. However, if you want a closer look without catching the bird, you can set him up with a treat that takes a long time to eat, so he will stand still for you to inspect him. You can get quite close to look, just make sure you put him in a place you can go all around, like a playstand. If you want to see underneath the feathers, you may be able to gently blow on him to ruffle them up. My bird will not accept petting, but he will let me put my face right up there and blow on him all I want.

If the bird is not wanting to be handled and you also don't know how to do it, I would recommend against picking him up. Let the vet show you how to do this. Better still, let the vet be the one to do it so you don't look like a bad guy. You can handle him later, hopefully, when he is more tame and accepting.

If you feel he is showing undue interest in his feathers, you should give him more play and forage opportunities. If he is busy paying attention to other things, he may be diverted from an unhealthy interest in preening, should one exist. One reason for overgrooming is boredom - there is simply nothing else interesting to do. So, entertain him. Keep him well humidified and don't go overboard removing oils from the diet. This may help reduce dryness and itchiness, which could promote too much interest in the skin. Sanjay's Mummi is always recommending a supplement called Feather Up. She is very satisfied with this product - you can ask her where it comes from.

I don't have any reason more than common sense to say this, but I imagine a good fly to knock out any loose feathers would be a good idea at least daily. You remember how annoying a loose tooth was, when you were little? Nobody likes stuff hanging around not quite right, bugging them. Even if my guess is wrong, everybody likes a good fly, eh?

If he's a bit cranky, losing feathers, and showing new pin feathers, I think it's safe to say it's probably molting. Lots of folks here seem to be posting about molting, so I think it's the time. My guy has lost three large-ish feathers and is spreading down all over the cage. So we're molting too! One of the feathers he lost was clipped, so I can say he is a little behind his own schedule. Last year he was clipped on April 23, the day after I got him, which is how I know.

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

One of my other birds gets feathers in her cage that look like those. And she is definitely not over preening. If they fall out while she's preening she likes to have a good chew on them. She's just finished molting...she's a quick one.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

kanundra

Post by kanundra »

Thanks :) I'll see how we get on in the next few days. He's been better this afternoon, although he spent near an hour in his bath....

Wil keep you posted.