Behavior

Moderator: Mods

sudired

Behavior

Post by sudired »

Back again.........

Now my IRN WILL NOT step up at all.

He will step up to a perch on the table but NO PHYSICAL CONTACT.
Unless you count biting viciously.

HELP!!!
Skyes_crew

Re: Behavior

Post by Skyes_crew »

If your IRN is young, it could be what is popularly known as the bluffing stage. Do a search for it within this forum. It will try your patience, but stick with him. It won't last forever.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

sudired

Post by sudired »

No, he is 20 years old and has just come thru THE most horrible Hormonal Breeding Behavior for 4 months! and then went right into Moulting. He's very lethargic and just wants to be left alone. Which I respect.

He came from the Gabriel Foundation. a bird rescue (there for 4 years). I know he is still fearful but after being with us for almost 6 months, shouldn't he be coming thru it?

He' such a treasure in so many ways, but we really want to have a closer relationship with him.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I'm so sorry. Your bird was lucky to be rescued by you :) unfortunately 6months is not a long time to a fearful IRN. Was he hand tamed at the rescue?

sudired

Post by sudired »

Yes, he has wonderful foraging skills, smart as a whip, obeys just about anything we want him to do with the offer of a treat and did step up to us when we were interviewing him at the aviary but only for a few seconds and then took off. I would bet he knows very well how to do it but is still very fearful and mistrusting. I think we just have to keep working with him. I know I'm in just too big of a hurry.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Sounds like he's fearful of hand contact. That seems to be the most common issue with ringnecks. It's going to take time and a whole lot of patience. Do a search within the forum for scared IRN. The following is good thread because it discusses methods that work. Don't work, and ones that are still arguable.

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=16302

There are many many others under Behavior and Taming.