NEWBY - 8 month old IRN - Cheeko

Moderator: Mods

Wakizashi21

NEWBY - 8 month old IRN - Cheeko

Post by Wakizashi21 »

Hi,

Reading some of the topics just made me actually join this society. just love how everyone is there to help eachother.

Just bought a IRN Yesterday. He is ony around 8 months old and when i got him from the previous owner....he was sitting on his shoulders and was really calm.

Since i have bought him, he is extra quiet....i presume its "Moving Home" that has made him like that. He does spend alot of time starring at me.....as his cage is right next to my work desk and i spend like 6 - 8 hours each day there.

just wondering how i should approach getting near him? Im tempted to try the clicker training which i nearly managed to fully implement with my cockatiels before i had to give them away to my nieces as a birthday present. (Cheeko is a permanent family member now lol).

His cage is a good size....i have the toys for him too....4 toys...and also different perches....I have got him eating the seeds currently but want to implement a good cariety of fruits and veggies soon....(fingers crossed)

I havnt got a cuttlebone yet.....(i looked for one at my local store and was out of stock) I have got the iodine block and a nuts mix...(will upload a picture hopefully in the morning)

Is that all suffient enough for him? Should i give him some Lone time?I do cover his cage around 9pm UK time to let him feel at ease....he spends alot of time out of the cage....like 6 - 7 hours. (has his wings cut as i dont want him to fly away) WAY TOO COLD IN THE UK lol
Wakizashi21

Re: NEWBY - 8 month old IRN - Cheeko

Post by Wakizashi21 »

OMG he climbed onto my finger and walked right onto my shoulder......and now hes gently biting my hair lol (have stiny spikes) no gell thank god lol

This is sooo exciting
MissK

Post by MissK »

Congratulations!

-MissK
-MissK
Wakizashi21

Post by Wakizashi21 »

He is still alittle scared....Trying to get him used to his surroundings....hes made some noise today in the morning....and iv just put some room temp water in bowl for him to get used to having a bath....

Hopefully it does work....trying to figure out what he likes the most....
braddy66

Post by braddy66 »

Congratulations on your new baby! Sounds like you're doing a great job...I'll be going through something similar to what you're going through in a couple of weeks when I receive my newly weened IRN. Haven't got a name for her yet. She's a Lutino. Any suggestions? :D ...It's interesting reading what you're experiencing with your baby. Makes me more excited as the days approach! I just joined this forum for almost the same reasons you did. I'm glad I did and I look forward to reading more of your posts as you two bond! Best of luck~
Brad
Wakizashi21

Post by Wakizashi21 »

Hi Brad,

Its nice to see your joining the Indian Ringneck Clan haha but honestly they are intelligent birds. I do sit at my desk and find some of his behaviour really fascinating. every bird is different but it also depends how you treat your bird.

In the mornings, he is absolutely crazzzzy!! he jumps from one side to another and has soo much fun....Probably because he knows i am sleeping lol he does love his monkey nuts, which i observed he picks up with his feet and plays with and has alot of fun so i give him when he behaves really good. Trying to get the nuts to be like a persuasive way of doing things.

Alot of white feathers are starting to show up slowly....so weaning is in process. he cant bite that hard thank god...but he is starting to come more onto my hands without bitting or running away. i do have his wings clipped....as i leave his cage open all day to give him that freedom...but dont want him to hurt himself flying around and still need him to adjust to everything.

i always find short and easy names a much better choice for birds as its easier for them to remember. Hopefully when you get yours, it be a heart throbbing experience. Good luck and enjoy it.