Do you think my IRN is plucking out his feathers?

Moderator: Mods

jmlw7

Do you think my IRN is plucking out his feathers?

Post by jmlw7 »

Hi all, I can finally post photos now, so I'm hoping you can help.

Our 8 month old IRN, Remy, seems to be doing really well with us so far (we've had him for about 3 weeks now). He likes us and steps up and hangs with us on the couch.. preens us, plays all the time and eats/drinks well and chirps and squeaks and etc etc. However, over the past week or two I noticed he itches a lot. I kept an eye but never thought much of it because he usually itches his head a lot while he is preening himself... or itches his leg with the tip of his beak all while preening. But yesterday, I noticed one longer green feather in the cage, with about 10 or so little small white feathers on the floor of the cage (most I've seen yet, usually there are 3-5). His chest feathers to me looked a little unkempt and I couldnt tell if there was a whiter feather spot on his chest from plucking, or if his feathers were just in disarray. His "shoulder" feathers at the top of his wings looked a little whiter too.

Maybe I'm just paranoid... but I want to make sure he isnt going to start a bad habit because of something we are doing wrong!! Do you think his feathers look okay? Hopefully I'm just a worrier :( I also wonder if we should bathe him a lot more. We are guilty of only bathing him 3-4 times since we got him, and maybe thats all it is. Maybe we should bath him like we've been doing but more frequent - like every other morning with his spray bottle mister, because i really dont think he is using his bird bath that we leave for him all day (big plant saucer of water on the bottom of his cage), and our bathroom shower has a filtered rainfall shower head that might be too heavy water fall for him. Also, the air in our apartment is quite dry. We covered a ceiling vent so it wouldnt blow directly on him, but I'm sure he feels dry as well because we definitely do. Its also spring here, does weather change have anything to do with it?

Also, our first avian certified vet appt is tomorrow (for a physical and to get his nails cut), but you all help so much, I wanted to ask you all first. Thanks!

Here are some pics

Remy a couple weeks ago posing like a model :lol:

Remy today after his mist bath dried and before his preening

Another up close from today (dont mind the hot pink on the bottom of his foot, he just got done destroying a hot pink foot toy)

......thoughts?

oh and here is another with apple on his face just because its cute :mrgreen:
kanundra

Re: Do you think my IRN is plucking out his feathers?

Post by kanundra »

Your pics are great. We have only had Bobby just over two weeks. And he also itches a lot. We're waiting to get him to an avian vet soon. He doesn't 'step up' though think the last owners just used to let him out the cage and do what he wants, so I have to start training with a skittish bird. He's come a long way in two weeks though, although tonight was his first time to nip my ear. Think he's just testing it. To see if I'd react too, which I didn't. Eek... it hurt though.

I think Remy is cute. Please let me know how you get on at the vet. I'm sure they'll tell you how he's doing. No point any of us guessing from a picture. :)

Dawn
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Your bird looks to be in a full molt. My baby Skye looks the same right now. It makes them very itchy and uncomfortable. He will get pin feathers all over so be careful not to pull on them. He looks to be in the losing down stage. Soon you will notice pin feathers around the face and head. It's all completely normal. He looks quite happy :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay has just come to the end of a moult, your chickster is definitely moulting. Spraying with tepid water containing a few drops each of rosewater and glycerin soothes the itching, you will notice him "plucking" the head stubble where he is removing the sheaths from new feathers, this is natural and perfectly ok. I give Sanjay "Feather Up" supplement and it really does help with the stress of moulting.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Sanjay, I've seen you talk about the feather up a couple of times. What is it and where do I get it? My poor boy is a mess right now. Looks like something the cat drug in. :)

sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I live in the UK, so I buy it from Scarletts parrot supplies or Northern Parrots, you can buy over the internet. It's a powder and you sprinkle a pinch or two on his dins, I usually dust half a papaya or half a galia melon with it, so himself gets it when he scoffs the seeds.
Wakizashi21

Post by Wakizashi21 »

I think my birds also going through a molt.....hes itching alot...and alsoo i just got him few days ago so hes alittle quiet....even though today he did make noise early morning.

I think hes scared of getting into a bowl because i did try...he just didnt want to get in....lol

i might need to try the mist....

Anything specific happen during the molt?what are the signs?
Wakizashi21

Post by Wakizashi21 »

And forgot to mention.....He is 8 months.... :) the molting happen around 8 months?
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

Hi all, just a quick update... we went to the avian vet on Saturday and Remy is perfectly healthy! He got a physical, a fecal test and his nails trimmed and there are no signs of feather plucking or anything to be concerned about. He is healthy, happy and is eating tons of fruit and veggies so he is healthy healthy healthy! But he IS definitely going through a molt. He is shedding his old feathers - as Skye stated, his down feathers.. and there are lots of little tiny white with yellow tipped feathers all over the place, but he looks to be ok. We spray misted him three days in a row and he loved it so much, spreading his wings and getting sopping wet. He has stopped itching considerably so we think the room temp water has been helping.

He does still itch when he preens and rubs his head pretty hard all over his back and when he gives a good hard ruffly shake, 2-3 feathers fly off of him, but this is normal and he is doing fine :)

Thank you all for easing my mind! It helped a lot as a starting point with the vet. She also said that a good diet really helps with his itching, so the more fruit and veggies the better during this time. :)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I spray mist all of my birds during a molt. They don't seem to want to get in their bath then. Showers are also really good. I use slightly warmer than room temp water. I love watching Skye and hamlet spread their wings to get wet. Skye is the worst lol. He will start spreading his wings if he hears me doing dishes or watering plants. I'm so happy that you got reassurance from the vet. We are all here to support and answer what questions we can, but there is nothing like a vet to ease your mind.

For wakisashi...usually around 6-8 months they will go through the first molt. Then again around 14-16 months. Depends on where you live and your seasons. Whether the bird lives in or outside. Just make sure to provide a lot of fresh veggies and fruit. Proteins such as small pieces of chicken and hard boiled egg are good during this time also.

Anyone have pics of their bathing beauties? I love seeing birds take a bath. It's so cute :)

MissK

Post by MissK »

I actually freeze in place to watch my canaries in their bath. They're pretty flighty in there (must be shy) so if they see me they will exit the bath. It isn't that great a show, really. I think it is more the magic of the moment I love so much. And even if I miss it and I see the water all inside the ceiling of their tubs, I think, "Awwwww! They had a bath!"

Rocky never shares his bath with me. I've only seen it a few times in a year. The thing I liked about Rocky's bath is how afterwards he preens and I can hear it. Sounds like moving taffeta.

He's going for his annual vet visit with a new (hopefully better) vet on Friday. He isn't going to like it. :(

-MissK
-MissK
jmlw7

Re: Do you think my IRN is plucking out his feathers? *photo

Post by jmlw7 »

Skyes_crew wrote:Your bird looks to be in a full molt. My baby Skye looks the same right now. It makes them very itchy and uncomfortable. He will get pin feathers all over so be careful not to pull on them. He looks to be in the losing down stage. Soon you will notice pin feathers around the face and head. It's all completely normal. He looks quite happy :)
Remy's molt is getting really bad in my eyes, but maybe this is normal? I know the vet said he is fine and healthy and couldnt be better, etc etc, but his chest feathers are starting to look really awful to me. He is getting pin feathers all over his face and head like you said, so I definitely know he is molting, but his chest feathers really look bad. I wet him and drenched him in a bath a couple of days ago (pics below) and he LOVED it! Actually gave me a little growl when I told him all the water from the spray bottle was gone.. and I didnt see any bald spots, but gosh, he looks bad. Should I be concerned?

Here are some more pictures - is this a normal molt??!? He seems so much worse since the pictures I originally posted. Any idea the time frame of when he should start to look better?

Remy from last night (please excuse the red blood color on his face - he just attacked a pomegranate) :lol:
Also, Does he have a booger?!?!?!

Another

And after his bath - no bald spots, but a mess!

I'm worried :? I feel like he will be naked soon!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Don't worry. If it's keeping you up at night, go get a bad haircut with your bangs (aka fringe) cut too short and a big hunk out of the back. Then you will be on the same page!

-Missk
-MissK
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

MissK wrote:Don't worry. If it's keeping you up at night, go get a bad haircut with your bangs (aka fringe) cut too short and a big hunk out of the back. Then you will be on the same page!

-Missk
:lol: :lol: :mrgreen: you guys are the best :lol:
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

What a cutie :D he looks completely normal to me. Molting can sometimes last quite a while. Especially their first big molt. Skye is just now starting to look a bit better. He's still losing though. He lost two tail feathers and a flight just yesterday. And the bottom of his cage looks like there was a birdie massacre. When birds pluck, they tend to concentrate on one or two areas and they will pluck the feather, the down, everything right down to the skin. Remy is just wearing his down coat right now :D he seemed to be about 4 weeks behind Skye, so you have a ways to go yet. But just wait till you see your beautiful bird when it's all over. He'll be strutting his stuff, knowing he looks good :lol:

Dean0

Post by Dean0 »

With my last bird, when she would eat too many seeds she would sometimes scratch and over preen. I found on holisticbirds website that red palm oil could help. Just a few ccs on pellets or veggies twice a week helped make her beautiful again.
Just another bird brain
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

Skyes_crew wrote:What a cutie :D he looks completely normal to me. Molting can sometimes last quite a while. Especially their first big molt. Skye is just now starting to look a bit better. He's still losing though. He lost two tail feathers and a flight just yesterday. And the bottom of his cage looks like there was a birdie massacre. When birds pluck, they tend to concentrate on one or two areas and they will pluck the feather, the down, everything right down to the skin. Remy is just wearing his down coat right now :D he seemed to be about 4 weeks behind Skye, so you have a ways to go yet. But just wait till you see your beautiful bird when it's all over. He'll be strutting his stuff, knowing he looks good :lol:
Do you have any pics of your birdies molting? I probably shouldnt have been reading up on feather plucking and overpreening because it has really really scared me. I literally cried like a baby when I saw google photos of birds down to their skin. Anyway, I just want to be sure Remy gets all his feathers back and isnt pulling out his chest feathers or anything. The feathers I am now finding at the bottom of his cage are getting bigger and longer, and I know they molt in stages, but photos do help ease the mind.

Dean0 - Remy doesnt eat many seeds, its available to him all the time, but he really only touches them once a week or so, or whenever he wants something crunchy I think. My bird doesnt like processed carbs much either. He has munched on cooked oatmeal and brown rice with a nibble of whole wheat bread a couple of times, but not lately.. and wont touch crackers or unsalted rice cakes or any "junkie" food that other wild birds outside will eat up. Well, except pizza crust. He seems to be more of a veggie, fruit and nuts eater.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I just took these now

Notice how patchy his head and chest are

This is from today

And these are the big ones he's lost this week so far

southpaw

Post by southpaw »

I noticed my Blue IRN Mio has been looking patchy on his head lately also. When I rub his head it feels rough under his feathers. He is 5 months old now I figured he was molting .How long does this last ? Kim
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Since its his first, it can sometimes last a month or two. You may find he doesn't like being touched in certain places and sometimes he'll just be plain grouchy. Spray him with water more often to help soften the quills. And be patient. :)

jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

Skyes_crew wrote:I just took these now

Notice how patchy his head and chest are
Awwwww so cute! I definitely see a similarity in the molting process, thanks for posting. The chest is very patchy - although your bird doesnt have any down exposed like Remy does. I noticed today Remy's head looks better and has tons of pin feathers on it, but his chest still looks bad. He is also losing some flight feathers as I noticed one of his clipped feathers came out too. Once all his flights are in it will be time for another clipping! Ah well, time will tell - I just hope all of his chest feathers grow back quickly - must be why he's so cold at night! thank you for posting!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

He used to have the down exposed but its growing back now. If you look at the horizontal line of his chest feathers they look raised. That's because all the new ones underneath are pushing through. I wish I had thought to take pics of Skye when he was at his worst. I just felt bad for him. It was almost like he was embarrassed of how he looked :wink:

jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

Skyes_crew wrote:He used to have the down exposed but its growing back now. If you look at the horizontal line of his chest feathers they look raised. That's because all the new ones underneath are pushing through. I wish I had thought to take pics of Skye when he was at his worst. I just felt bad for him. It was almost like he was embarrassed of how he looked :wink:
There should definitely be a thread with before/during/after molting for our birdies. It would put a lot of people at ease with molting vs plucking - especially with the severity of a first big molt! I know what you mean about embarrassed, if I look long and hard at Remy's feathers while he is on me, he gently nips by finger and grunts while giving me a dirty look. He knows I am looking at him too closely and he doesnt appreciate it! :lol:
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

A very smug Sanjay is looking gorgeous at last, but, shh, don't tell him he has lost a few tail feathers!, they always drop out last. :wink:
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Yay for Sanjay!!! :D Skye is almost there. He too lost a few tail feathers this last week. He looks so cute with the new ones sticking out at the sides :lol:

kanundra

Post by kanundra »

I've found this thread really helpful. I'm not totally sure of Bobby's exact age but the weather in the UK hit over 15d this last couple of days. Bobby's started itching a little more and I found two feathers I have to admit they don't look in as good a shape as your feathers above.

One is only half a feather. I'm really hoping that he too isn't pulling them out. He's defo over preening them if they're missing bits though. :( So now he's getting a spray every morning and I'll see if I can get some extra stuff to put in it to help. He does kinda like the misting, he starts to fluff his feather a little although he won't let you do it out his cage he flies off.

Not sure about our humidity here but the house has always been so wet. We had to get a dehumidifier to rid of it. Should I stop using that?

With Bobby being under 2 and heading into summer here. Could he be having a moult. He was pretty cranky today in his cage and hasn't come out a lot either...

Just want to make sure he's okay.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

It is molting season :)
If he's clipped, the half feather is one of his clipped flight feathers coming out.

If you need the dehumidifier to control dampness in your house, then increase the times you mist him to help with the molting process. Crankiness is a sure sign of molting. Do you have pics of the feathers he's lost so far?

sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay doesn't get grumpy as such, he tends to go really quiet when he is moulting, now he is just about finished he is back to sing songs and chortles, so we know all is well, it has not been that warm here in Bedfordshire (uk), we don't really notice that his moults are weather related, its more of seasonal thing, in fact, the wild birds are moulting too.
kanundra

Post by kanundra »

I haven't got any pictures but I can put some up tomorrow. We've disturbed his routine a little today as hubby's put up a wire mesh fencing across the door so we can have the sliding doors open. It's been real warm here and too hot in the living room with the doors shut and Bobby out the cage. He's defo cranky tonight. He's not been out much and he's attacking his toy. He keeps peeking at me from around it though. And is making his chunnering sound. Will see how he is tomorrow. And post some pics up.

Thanks though, it's good to chat to other people. As I'm so new to this.
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

All, I just wanted to say thank you for all of the assurance with Remy's molting. It was a very long process and is now down to one long tail feather left, but the rest of the feathers look really great, bright and shiny.

It's really a scary sight to see the molting with a new IRN, we have been so worried about the happiness and long hours being left alone and diet, etc etc that we wont even know where to start with feather plucking.

As of now, Remy seems healthy.. here are some photos of her feather growth progression. You wouldnt even know its the same bird from the first pics above!!!

and another

Thanks again! and sorry so large! :oops:
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Look at that pretty girl :D

My poor boy is still molting. It's been a tough long road for him. But Remy looks great :)

jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

Skyes_crew wrote:Look at that pretty girl :D

My poor boy is still molting. It's been a tough long road for him. But Remy looks great :)
We went a couple of weeks bathing her every other day - to the point of completely draining the water bottle and she was sopping wet and wanting more. Then we would put her in front of the screen deck door to dry off a few times a week. We havent bathed her since last weekend now though. Not sure if you do the same thing, but I wonder if this has helped the molting along faster? I also gave her a chicken bone this month and last month as I heard it helps with their protein and pushes the feathers out faster but we probably wont do that again until mating season is over. Not sure if that had anything to do with it - we just know it seemed slow going last month and then suddenly it seems like she molted the rest and the new ones appeared all within two weeks. Maybe something like that will work for Skye assuming this is his first big molt too?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

It actually should have been his second molt. He's 15 months old. Unfortunately before I adopted him his previous owner had him on a really poor diet and he never molted at 6 months. So he had double the work. I bathe him every couple of days. I've always been told every day is bad for their natural oils. He also eats hard boiled egg and chicken twice a week. I think he just had a really rough time because he literally got an entire set of new feathers. Poor baby :(

kanundra

Post by kanundra »

Bobby's lost 8 feathers this week alone, without all the little ones.

This bit of moulting has him really cranky too, he actually grabbed my nose while I was talking to him the other day. I too think his chest feathers look a little ratty.

But the bigger feathers he broke and had pulled have pins waiting to come out. And the feathers which were clipped are growing in. At one point all he had was his pale ones, now the darker flight feathers are growing longer each day.

He's so cute. If he is a he after all. :)

Remy looks awesome now, keep us posted please.
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

kanundra wrote: Remy looks awesome now, keep us posted please.
I think all she has left are her wings and tail... I never knew birds have so many feathers! She has SO many feathers on her head - she really does look like a completely different bird.

Skye - I'm so sorry to hear the molting is so slow going :( At least the old feathers wont be seen again. I wonder if there is something to speed up the process? After all, they have to go through this once a year right? Would be good to know if there is a certain food or temperature or whatever to move things along for the future
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I wish I knew :( things are definitely looking better though. :) tail is coming back in nicely and I think most of his flights are out. He lost another this morning though. I'm pretty sure I have enough feathers to construct a fake bird :lol:

MissK

Post by MissK »

Let's all have a big Congratulations for Rocky - he has started to look a bit patchy with his molt. Why is this good? It's a real molt! Last year he tossed out mostly bigger feathers, but I see from some of the clipped ones coming out now that it wasn't all of them. And last year, sure, there were feathers around, but it wasn't like this. I'm going to take some of the credit and say his better molt is due to his better lifestyle over the last 18 months with me. He was always beautiful, but will he be even more so now??? Yaaaaaay, what a ROCKSTAR!

:mrgreen:
-MissK
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

MissK: What a RockyStar!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Rock-O-Rama!

We have a lot of rock phrases in this house.

-MissK
-MissK
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

If my neighbours saw Sanjay in full moult they would probably call the RSPB, or RSPCA, and anyone who has bred a litter of puppies from long coated breeds will tell you how horrendously thin and tatty the mum looks afterwards!, that IS scary!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Oh poor Sanjay :(

MissK Rocky is rockin the new coat 8)

sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

He keeps threatening to call ms Polly on the Parrotline, it's a bit like Childline for parrots.
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

MissK wrote:Let's all have a big Congratulations for Rocky - he has started to look a bit patchy with his molt. Why is this good? It's a real molt! Last year he tossed out mostly bigger feathers, but I see from some of the clipped ones coming out now that it wasn't all of them. And last year, sure, there were feathers around, but it wasn't like this. I'm going to take some of the credit and say his better molt is due to his better lifestyle over the last 18 months with me. He was always beautiful, but will he be even more so now??? Yaaaaaay, what a ROCKSTAR!

-MissK
congrats Rocky!!!!!!!!!!!!!! enjoy his beautiful new feathers and have fun with your vacuum :lol: Ive never vacuumed so much in my entire life!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

jmlw7 wrote:
MissK wrote:Let's all have a big Congratulations for Rocky - he has started to look a bit patchy with his molt. Why is this good? It's a real molt! Last year he tossed out mostly bigger feathers, but I see from some of the clipped ones coming out now that it wasn't all of them. And last year, sure, there were feathers around, but it wasn't like this. I'm going to take some of the credit and say his better molt is due to his better lifestyle over the last 18 months with me. He was always beautiful, but will he be even more so now??? Yaaaaaay, what a ROCKSTAR!

-MissK
congrats Rocky!!!!!!!!!!!!!! enjoy his beautiful new feathers and have fun with your vacuum :lol: Ive never vacuumed so much in my entire life!
My birds and my vacuum hate me right now :lol:

janey1960

Post by janey1960 »

I think mine is... he's itching All the time and I am getting the stress
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Try Glycerine and Rosewater in the spray bottle. Sanjay's mummi recomended l used it for Billie who itching and scratching but after a couple of days she stopped.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

At the risk of hijacking the forum: does a IRN molt at roughly 12 months of age?

I have an 11 month old IRN that's looking rather bedraggled at the moment i.e. scruffy tail, flight feathers not as grown out as I would have liked (his breeder clipped him at the age of about 2 months after a near disaster of 5 escaping chicks and his wings is still recovering from that). Although it does seem like his long tail feathers are slowly starting to emerge. I haven't seen any signs of "pinning" on him but that could due to his mutation (a mix of silver/white).

Regards,

Wessel