baths

Moderator: Mods

kanundra

baths

Post by kanundra »

My Bobby is now in his new cage. It's essentially a corner African Parrot cage, and he kinda looks swamped in it. However, for the most part he's out of it from 3pm and it can be filled with things for him to play in.

All the bowls are bigger too and this is the first time I've ever seen him take a 'bath' the previous owners said he used to do it every morning with fresh water.

I changed his water as usual and was surprised that he took such an interest in it, the next minute he was actually sitting in the bowl having a right ole time. :) so so funny...

Problem is he's now wet. I know the weather is warmer, so shouldn't be too much of a problem.

How often do they bath or is it something that I might need to watch? He's very happy now chirpinng and squeaking to himself. :) what a little character.
Yvette

Re: baths

Post by Yvette »

It's great if he's bathing! Let him bath as often as he wants. It's good that he wants to be clean it shows he's healthy and happy :)

My IRN likes to have showers with me, he'll sit on a face cloth hung over the shower head while I do my thing, and sit on my shoulder and stick his head under quickly and back out when it's his turn (but i turn the water to just warm, so not too hot for him).. Maybe you could try introducing your lil guy to the shower if he's tame enough? Just try putting him on the shower head for the start so he gets used to the environment... Then he'll become interested in the water... And you can put him on your finger next to the water and see if he wants to try to taste it... (My parrot will even try and get in the sink if i'm washing up! Then I know it's time to get him a bath!)

I have a shallow glass baking dish I bought for him that I fill with luke warm water that he loves to jump in and wet his head and feet etc. It means he gets to enjoy bathing and then doesn't jump in his drinking water... I guess it fills his bathing need! Perhaps giving him another alternative bathing method would help?

But all in all showers and baths are good, and if you find he still wants to sit in his water, let him, just change his water again once he's done :)
(My IRN gets in the shower with me when I was my hair so every 2-3 days, and gets a bath twice a week (baking dish bath lol)

Hope that helps!!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Yay for both of your bathing beauties!!

Every morning when I bring a fresh bowl of water for Rocky's bath he literally comes running for it. He does not often bathe in front of me, but he is always so pleased for a fresh tubful. Honestly, I have to be careful of setting it down actually on top of him, he is in such a state and running around where the tub goes.

-MissK
-MissK
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

My baby has been home for 2 whole weeks now. I still am trying to get him to bathe.
I tried a spray bottle first, but he didn't like it. This weekend, Camo the QP took a bath in a baking dish and we had Fats watch him. After Camo was done, I tried to put Fats in the bath, he was eager to get out!
I think I may try the sink method. maybe he'll like that better. Of course, it requires me to clean my sink :)
kanundra

Post by kanundra »

Wonderful stories, thanks for sharing. I don't think Bobby likes the spray too much although he does try and nip at the water when I'm doing it. Other than that he loves his bowl.
:)
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

I posted this in the photo thread instead of the vids thread.
But here is a vid of Mango testing out the pool in it's new position
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =5&t=17212

I feel if they want to bath then it is not going to be too cold.
As long as they are going to be dry before bedtime.
I would not like to see them go to bed damp, but I feel they may understand that anyway.

Some ways that may help getting them turned on to water.
Rain, Vacuum cleaner, Hair Dryer.
Henry is my only Cockatiel that that readily to a good misting. The others stay away from water most of the time.
kanundra

Post by kanundra »

What an absolutely cracking video. :) Thanks for sharing. I should upload some of Bobby, I've only got my koi videos up on my channel yet.