Charging and pecking/biting

Moderator: Mods

lolagirl

Charging and pecking/biting

Post by lolagirl »

Hi, as many of you know I have a two year old irn. I've been trying to bond with her. She really likes my husband, so I use that to my advantage. But lately when I come near her cage she charges at me or my son and pecks/bites at us. I'm not sure as to what brought on the change in her. Our relationship has been up and down, but I continue to target train her (I've tried other tasks but she bites me). I've come to the conclusion that she likes my husband more (which is absolutly fine) but I would like to have some sort of relationship with her. Could it be that she's bored? Or, is because of mating season? She's even attempted to bite my hubby a couple of times.
Yvette

Re: Charging and pecking/biting

Post by Yvette »

Sounds like she's just being territorial, and perhaps more so because she's reaching sexual maturity :)
My IRN is sometimes like that with his cage, but mostly when he's with his best friend, my blue budgie... Very protective of his budgie friend!!
He likes me but not a huge fan of my man. He'll give him lip kisses and step up, but very reluctantly!

Is it only when she's in her cage? If so, maybe just let her have her cage time. She's probably established that that's her home and feels like you're trespassing when you're in her space! Plus, female IRNs prefer males over females, and vice versa for the males, as you probably know already :)

They're VERY one person birds, though, which can be hard to come to terms with! My partner is heartbroken regularly :( He loves my parrot but my birdie just wants to hang with me. Even after 3 years of trying!!

Hope this helps a lil :)

*Perhaps, if you have the time and energy, invest in a male :) keep separately from the female at the start and raise it yourself. It will bond to you :)
lolagirl

Re: Charging and pecking/biting

Post by lolagirl »

Thanks for your feedback! That's kind of what I thought too with being territorial. I'm really trying with her. I can't get her to step up unless she's on the ground or couch... Even with that I have to wrap my hand in a towel so she doesn't bite me. I try to work with her every night doing the target training and it seems to have helped a little bit. So slowly but surly!

I've thought about getting a male but I don't think it'll be a good idea. I have a male (I think) caique that's a little stinker lol. And I have two dogs. So my plate is really full.