Tail bobbing?

Moderator: Mods

paandajean

Tail bobbing?

Post by paandajean »

My little one [I actually don't know how old he is, but he's always little to me!] sneezes every now and then. Of course I'm like OH NO WHAT COULD BE WRONG!

I made this little video while he was eating breakfast this morning...his tail is so long I figured it's just balancing. Is this tail bobbing? Is it something I should be worried about?

The forum won't let me add a youtube link or add the file below in an avi or mov...could I email it to someone to take a look?

He never breathes with his mouth open or anything, but his breathing will get heavier if I am closer and his wings will shake. I figured that's because he's still warming up to me. I'm a bit of a bird hypochondriac since they hide their illnesses so well; and the only reason I caught his bacterial infection last year was because he stopped eating.

thanks all! everyone here is so nice and helpful!
Yvette

Re: Tail bobbing?

Post by Yvette »

Sneezing often is not a good sign... Once in a while, like once in a week is ok but more then a couple of times a day is a worry...
It sounds to me like he has a chest/lung infection, and needs to see an AVIAN vet as soon as possible...

Tail bobbing is usually a sign that they are having difficulty breathing. They balance with their feet mostly so the tail bobbing is usually breathing related...

This is a section from the Australian Bird Keeper magazine on first aid for birds. I was going to attach it as a picture but the board attachment quota has been reached.. So i'll type it for you :)

*Exact words from the ABK Magazine*
Breathing Difficulty:
If your birds is having difficulty breathing - opening its mouth with each breath, heaving its body up and down (or tail bobbing) with each breath, or making audible wheezes, grunts or rattles with each breath - seek veterinary attention urgently. Emergency treatment (warmth, oxygen, pain relief, etc) can save many of these birds, but not if they're left for a day or two.

I hope he gets better and they can fix him!!! I've had two beautiful birds pass away because I thought they would just get better... :(
Skyes_crew

Re: Tail bobbing?

Post by Skyes_crew »

Just noticed this was an old thread

Information removed
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D