Is my baby happy?! Concerned

Moderator: Mods

tobiloh

Is my baby happy?! Concerned

Post by tobiloh »

I'll be holding Baby Beau, he will cuddle up close to under my chin and just sit there with his mouth open, constantly mewing. This is after he eats too! And he will start falling asleep, and he will get quiet when I put my nose by his beak as he falls asleep, but as I hold him for an hour or too (according to how long he wants to be with me) he will "mew" softly while looking at me. He isn't making a move to get off so and I don't keep him against his will...

Also, when I talk he will "mew" with more vigor.

What's going on?! Is my Baby Beau happy? He is a month and three weeks
ellieelectrons

Re: Is my baby happy?! Concerned

Post by ellieelectrons »

This is typical baby bird behaviour. S/he is fine. You will miss it when it stops when s/he gets older, although it can be annoying/distressing sometimes (and other times cute). I remember when my baby Janey used to do the same.

Ellie.
tobiloh

Post by tobiloh »

Hi Ellie! I totally don't mind it because it is a soft mew. I hand raised Beau since he was 3 weeks and when I get home, Beau will climb to the front of the cage and knock his beak softly against the cage and will mew.

Just want my Baby Beau to be happy. I love how he mews until he falls asleep as I pet him. When he was featherless, I'd warm him with a towel and he would sleep nestled in my palm but the mewing is new nd I was so, so worried that I was doing something wrong!

Thank you Ellie. I've had ferrets and cats so this is a whole new game haha
sujithsubramanian

Post by sujithsubramanian »

Tobiloh,

Hey I have a 8 week old baby Ringneck as well. I have named him JoJo. A fully flighted bird who literally flies everywhere around my house, but he loves to cuddle and sleeps in my pillow with me. A bit potty-trained as well (After seeing him not poop on me or my dad, haha) How old is your baby ? Is your baby Weaned now ? In case if you are in the weaning stages, please help me with how you bridge the gap between hand-feeding and weaning ?

Sujith
tobiloh

Post by tobiloh »

sujithsubramanian wrote: How old is your baby ? Is your baby Weaned now ? In case if you are in the weaning stages, please help me with how you bridge the gap between hand-feeding and weaning ?
Hi Suji!

Congrats to have a beautiful baby Jojo! Indian Ringnecks are great eaters and I find that they are amazingly easy to wean. I must stress this -- please do not stop feeding them formula until they no longer want it. It contains great vitamins and they know what they want! Not giving them formula and "forcing" them to eat their millet and seed mixes may eventually give them food related psycosis.

At this time, you can start putting millet seeds in their cage and they will be curious of it on their own. Once you see that they are eating the millet (not simply ripping them off and throwing the seeds everywhere) you can purchase a bag of cockatiel mix and give Jojo a scoop or two of that. My babies Beau and Blizzard have been nibbling millet since about 6 weeks (they are now 8 weeks and two days) and are down to one to two small feedings of formula a day (about two spoons or 4 cc's). I also would use a cheese grinder and make home made vegetable puree (likes grinded carrots, they love boiled broccoli at this stage and applesauce and when I eat grapefruit, I take the small pulps and burst them in their mouths (they love it) and now they eat grapefruit on their own (when they are good!)

Also, feel free to start misting them, they love water! If you don't have your baby with parents, it will be tough to teach them all they need to know so bathing will come in its due time.

On this forum, there is one who has made an amazing post of all the foods ringnecks can eat. If I find it again, I will reply it here for your use