is this aggression, dominance or something else?

Moderator: Mods

Fidgit_Green

is this aggression, dominance or something else?

Post by Fidgit_Green »

yay, i can finally post my link.

i was wondering if someone might be able to tell me exactly what this behavior is?
he seems to mostly do it to things when i tell him to leave them alone.
E.G. my computer cord, my feet, a chocolate bar that i am trying to eat, even my hands some times.

http://youtu.be/e6gz4wQTSHE

sorry if the quality isnt to great.

thanks everyone
Skyes_crew

Re: is this aggression, dominance or something else?

Post by Skyes_crew »

lol...it looks like he's in love with your computer :D I can't see from the video, but is he pinning when he's dancing like that? I believe it's a male dominance thing. So cute to watch. Made me smile :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Fidgit_Green

Post by Fidgit_Green »

yea he does pin his eyes when he does that.
he was actually doing to to my hand that i was holding above my phone, he just happened to be standing on my computer.
he does it all the time to all sorts of things, mostly to me but sometimes inanimate things aswell like a cardboard barrier i put up by his cage to stop him from climbing on a cabinet next to his cage.
he tries tearing up the tape i used on bit but because i tell him off when he does, hes often does that little dance to the cardboard.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I agree. It's a little hard to tell, and it does not look exactly the same as my bird, but it really seems to have elements of the Glad To Be A Boy Dance. If it is accompanied by a crazy "song", then that would be your answer.

I would say that if this were aggression, you would be seeing a good bit of striking (stabbing and attacking with the beak) and quite probably some angry noises. If he were really, really pissed off, he might even make a sort of an angry grunt. And he would probably be remaining still while staring at the offending object before striking at it.

All in all, I do not see this as behaviour motivated by negative intent. I think he's just being a bird. Pretty cute, too!

-MissK
-MissK