New IRN companion ... HELP! and thank you

Moderator: Mods

holesinmyshirt

New IRN companion ... HELP! and thank you

Post by holesinmyshirt »

My wife and I have 2 conures, a cockatiel and a cockatoo. We just adopted a freshly weaned IRN, and have some concerns about it's adaptation to our home. It is a very sweet, docile bird ... so far ... we are aware of the upcoming bluffing stage and how to properly handle it, but, she just seems sad ... she is eating on her own now, seems healthy. She doesn't mind being handled and cuddled ... even had a bath and her foot ring cut off without a hint of objection. She very often wants to go back to her cage instead of being with us or walking around the room. She is in a room with 3 others ( in seperate cages ) much squawking indeed ... are they especially sensitive and require different handling than other parrots? We have had her 1 week now and she is supposed to be 9weeks old. Maybe we are expecting too much too soon ... :?:
Skyes_crew

Re: New IRN companion ... HELP! and thank you

Post by Skyes_crew »

Even babies need an adjustment period...give her time. She's still really little and at this age is taking her cues from you. Talk to her... A LOT!!! Is she in an overly large cage? You could try a smaller fledgling cage. Going from a small close comfortable nest to a big scary cage can be quite disarming. You could also try giving her a soft stuffed animal (washable) to cuddle with. Try putting her in a wicker basket during the day hours and the cage only in the evening at bed time. With time she will adjust to being away from the nest and she will look to you as her closest companion. Cheers...and congrats on the newest member of your family :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D