serious advice and help needed

Moderator: Mods

Carly_angel

serious advice and help needed

Post by Carly_angel »

Ziggy is a wonderful IRN. I really want to be able to bond and train him, so were a healthy happy partnership,, however im at a loss of what to do. If I let him out, he flys up to the top of the 40ft ceiling and will not return to the cage. for saftey reasons I have to catch him so that he will be safe at night, but the experience is very frightning for him. :( I feel terrible doing it. I dont want to do it any more. I can hear the poor thing breathing so fast, so now I wont be letting him out the cage again ... but I feel terrible doing that too as he seems to love being out. I live in the UK and vets will not clip wings, I dont know how to do it and I have heard it can lead to terrible self harming etc. He wont take treats from my hand so I dont see how I can even start doing clicker training, I love him so much and want to mae this all right! i wont give up, I just want to do the best for Ziggy... but what is that?! please please some advice im at such a loss as to what on earth to do :s
subodhhire

Re: serious advice and help needed

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Angel,

Please read the thread in the link. you will get all your answers.

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=16302

Subodh
Fidgit_Green

Post by Fidgit_Green »

hi there

i am only new to his forum and only have my first irn who is 6 months old
but i have had him since 5 days old.

i had to clip his wings because i am disabled and could not handle a young bird flying around
until i knew that he is comfortable with me and will happily stay with me.

i dont think i like to suggest this as i had already been shown how to clip wing a few years ago,
but i went on youtube and looked at a few videos just to be sure, there are a few vets that show you the right way to clip their wing, however i am not the type of person to watch one video and the say yes i know what im doing now, i always go through and watch a lot of different video, because everyone has their own opinion, so i suggest wast a few videos and take the advice that is the same in most of the videos, because if 7 out of 10 people tell you the same thing then its most likely the the right way.

however, like i would think most experienced owners would say. if you are not comfortable and confident in doing it, then dont even try to do it.

i havnt written this to say you should do it, but because it seems im your situation i could be a benefit to you and because you cant find a vet that will do it for you.

otherwise another option could be to go online and find bird owners in your area that have the experience and may be willing to do the clipping for you.

best of luck anyway.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi Carly,

I found a very comprehensive guide on how to start clicker training and taming a flighted bird http://www.theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=227
I hope this could be of help to you.

Regards,
Claire