Target training

Moderator: Mods

lolagirl

Target training

Post by lolagirl »

I've started to target traing (i think that's what it's called) but when I do it Lola bites it aggressively... Do I still reward? Or not? Pls keep in mind that shes still fairly aggressive with me and I've read that this will help with bonding/training but I don't want to reward a bad behavior. Can someone pls help and explain
subodhhire

Re: Target training

Post by subodhhire »

Hi lola,

I am not an expert in target training cause i have never done it. But I have a fair idea about it. One thing I would like to know is are you using a clicker?

Target training means that you make the bird touch the stick or whatever at the tip. No since Lola is aggressive she is biting it hard. But she is still touching it. And that is what is desired. You should reward her as soon as she touches the desired point. Even if she is biting.

Now if you dont want her to bite hard on the stick, you have to be a bit faster than her. Even if she is going to bite the stick the moment she touches the stick you should remove it and click at the same time. It will be slightly difficult in the beginning but by practice you can master it. Also when you do it for some number of times Lola will also understand that she only has to touch it to get the reward.

I hope this helps.

Subodh
lolagirl

Post by lolagirl »

Thanks Subodhhire! That's what I thought... But I just wanted to make sure :-)
Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug »

I agree with subodhhire's advice. Bug was exactly the same when I started target training him. He took to targeting like a duck to water, and seemed to be so excited about 'getting it right' that he would bite whatever I was using as hard as he could. I still rewarded this because it showed he was learning. Bug is extremely food motivated, so I tend to use little pieces of nut when training him, as well as verbal reinforcement. We have used a clicker in the past but he doesn't really care for it.

A mistake I made was using my finger as a target in the early stages. Bug was so excited about target training that he started giving my finger an enthusiastic bite whenever it came near him, and then looking at me for his reward! Once I realised what was going on (I had created a monster!), we started using my arm for step-ups instead of my hand, and sure enough he was fine. Hopefully if you're using a stick you won't have this problem.

Enjoy the training, it's a great way to establish communication between you and Lola, and lots of fun.
lolagirl

Post by lolagirl »

Hey Jen,

Lola's caught on very quickly to target training! I use a clicker and vocal reinforcement... Along with sunflower seeds. I also use a wooden spoon. I have yet tried to use my finger though just cause we are still trying to build trust with each other (she's a biter lol) but I can however give her treats by hand and she's even gotten nicer with that... I used to have to give them to her through the bars of the cage, I still do from time to time when shes really excited. But the cutest thing is she'll sit on her cage and stare at me like "when are we gonna play mama?" And it's so cute! She'll even call and beg me at the end wanting more treats when we're done (I'm trying this training diet that I've recently read about) so at the end of our training I'll give her a couple of grapes instead and sit and talk to her. I'm hoping really soon I'll be able to actually pick her up and be able to pet her.My hubby has no problem with it, so I use that to my advantage and pet her while she's on his shoulder. Fingers and toes crossed! :-D
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Lola,

Great going.

Subodh
lolagirl

Post by lolagirl »

So far the training is going GREAT!! I actually got to pet my Lola for the first time in forever all by myself!!! Super excited about it too! She gave me a warning when she was done and I backed off. Slowly but surely we are making progress!! :-D
Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug »

That's great, it is kind of special to pet a bird, isn't it? Remember though that she might not feel the same way...Bug doesn't really like being handled, and I know on the rare occasions when I pet him that he's tolerating it rather than enjoying it.

This forum has an amazing mix of pettable ringnecks and get-your-hands-off-me ringnecks (there's a thread about it somewhere I think), including non-pettable birds who have strong relationships with their humans in other ways. I guess I'm saying not to worry if petting never becomes a regular thing for Lola - the important thing is that you're interacting with her and building communication and trust, which is awesome.
lolagirl

Post by lolagirl »

Hey Jen,

I know there's lots of birds that don't like being petted, but I really don't think that's the case with Lola. She loves it when my hubby is home and when he pets her. She chirps and coos and leans into him when he pets her. I honestly think that he's her chosen one even though I'm her caregiver. Which honestly bothered me at first but to be very honest I don't blame her cause I was the one that took her to clip her wings when she came home... So I don't blame her. But the main thing here is I am building a relationship and trust. So I'm sure there will be even more petting in the future for the both of us! And if not so be it. As long as there's some sort of relationship I am happy. Time will tell :-D
Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug »

Haha, I know what you mean about being the 'second best' human. When Bug was little, he used to attack my husband (who was my boyfriend back then), but after we all moved in together he decided my husband was the best thing in the universe. When my hubby talks to him he goes all chirpy and won't take his eyes off him! My husband's theory is that it's because he used to wear a green shirt a lot around the house, which was the same colour as Bug (Bug loves other green birds). My theory is that they have a lot of personality traits in common (cheeky, independent, food-loving) and Bug can recognise a kindred spirit. Either way it's cute to watch! :)