Bonding / Taming advise plz ??

Moderator: Mods

amaraatlanta

Bonding / Taming advise plz ??

Post by amaraatlanta »

Hi there

I'am a first time owner of a 7/8 month old IRN, he is absolutely beautiful and we took him in 3 days ago. He was advertised as a tame family pet however when he arrived he was in a very small cage and extremely fearful with a damaged wing.

I have cleaned up his wound by wrapping him in a towel and cleaning it (first time IRN not bird owner lol) I have placed him in a new large cage and he has settled down alot in his new cage, but I was wondering what advice I can be given for bonding. Right now I am leaving him to settle in his new home but sitting right next to his cage just getting along with our daily routine and hoping he will get used to me.

Plz any advise would be great ?? :)

SUE

Owned by Sirius-Malfoy (IRN) Splodge and Omar (budgies) 5boys and a hubby lol
amaraatlanta

Re: Bonding / Taming advise plz ??

Post by amaraatlanta »

NO ADVISE ??

SUE

subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Amara,

Welcome to the forum.

You are already on the right path by letting your bird settle down. Also since he/she is injured so I think you should wait till the bird recovers fully.

Subodh
lola13

Post by lola13 »

Hey,

Good thing is to let your bird settle in get use to its surroundings. And if your bird is injured the only thing your bird wants is to be left alone to heal. I've had my Lola over a month now came to me untame. And is still iffy with me.

I've been doing what other people have been saying sit with your bird, talk to him everyday. Try to feed him through the cage. I've been sitting with Lola fours hours holding her fave food through the bars she's yet to take it from me.

You need to have a lot of patience with a untame bird. Hope my advice helps!
amaraatlanta

Post by amaraatlanta »

Just a quick update. Malfoy is doing well, still very iffy with bare hand and kids lol, but if I ware a glove he feeds from my hand and perches :D . He doesn't like skin though. :shock:

I talk to him and he is in the living room and enjoys watching everyone, he comes out and puts him self back home when he is ready. We have brought the budgies back in now from quarantine and he is very interested in them, but we aren't letting them have exercise together just in case. :roll:

What else can I do to bond?? or am I being impatient?? :oops:

Many thanks

Sue

SUE

leo1955

Post by leo1955 »

Hi,
I also have at first, an untamed IRN who is 5 or more months old (one and 1/2 months ago). When she arrives at home, the first of things I did was to put her in her cage which is located at our living room where she constantly sees us. She was so quiet and seemed fearful of me. I searched the net/web and found this site. I found all the tips here very helpful in taming Rich, my IRN. Today, I can say that Rich is 90% tamed and this I owe to all the people here who are so kind to give tips and everything for people like me and you, who are new to IRN keeping. I just followed them and I am very satisfied with the result. So I advise you to just read through the posts here and they will be of great help. Congratulations on your new IRN, it's really great feathered friend to keep.
Just to share, here are some pix of my Rich:
amaraatlanta

Post by amaraatlanta »

wow what a beautiful IRN hun :D

SUE