Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderator: Mods

084bar

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by 084bar »

I got my Peanut at the age of 4weeks, S/he was very loving towards me, love sitting on my lap and been handled my me and my husban, the last week Peanut dose not want me to pick s/he up, will come to me for some food but only on s/he terms (eg: if I am eating wants what I am eating and will sit on my hand for it for a few seconds but then s/he will want want I am eating but will not come to me for it, might take it and run away). Men can pick Peanut up and s/he fine but let me pick Peanut s/he go's mad trying to fly away... I am the one that spends most of the day with Peanut bez come with me to work, s/he has a cage and play area on my desk. What can I do to get back my birds love towards me... PLEASE HELP :cry:
Regards
Barbara

Another Indian ringneck lover and Peanut

subodhhire

Re: Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by subodhhire »

Hi There,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you please explain a bit more, I mean initially when you got the bird home who was hand feeding it? Also whom did it bond with initially means after the weaning?

If you can answer these question, we might be able to figure out the problem.

Subodh
084bar

Post by 084bar »

I hand feeded Peanut. It bonded with me and my husban, spent the day with me and at night with my husband.. Peanut is about 6 months old now

Peanut come with me to work, s/he has a smaller cage at my office but bearly in it, s/he spends most of the day out side the cage, there is a bigger Afrian grey cage I have at home because she dose spend a bit more time in the cage at home and the African grey cage is to big for me to carry around. I have been doing this from when I got her. put her into a box into the cage so she could get use to the cages (when she was to young for a cage) Love both her cage's.

She eats what I eat at work (eg: if I have a sandwich she will get what on my bread like cucumber, tomato or a small piece of chicken, depends on what on my bread. but I have made the mistake of her cage been to far from me and just giveing her the food instead of sitting with her to eat....

The flapping away from me started 23 January, it was strange because I went to the bath room and the cats were in the room so put her into her cage and came back and she went mad when I put my hands into the cage to take her out again and she still doing that.

My husban and brother-in-law can pick her up and it not as bad, she just dose it sometime's with them but if I or my sister try and pick her up she all ways dose that.

Yesterday I moved her cage closer to me (onto my desk so she can come to me when she want to but with out making her) I have started target training but she not always wants too, like in the morning she will not at all not even just take the treat, what nothing form me. I open her cage so she can climb out by herself, eather my hasban with take her to put into her travel cage or I wil let her get onto my laptop bagback (she likes to sit on it) and get into her cage herself.....

I manged to get her to sit on my lap with treats (cut nuts into tiny pieces bez can't get spray millet) but as soon as the treats are finish she eather climbs down my skirt or flaps away...

I love my Peanut still, and would love to be able to handle my baby again (she has never liked her head scrached or to to holded)

Thansk
Regards
Barbara

subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Something has triggered the behaviour but what? Do you have any other ladies at your work place?

Just a thought would anybody want to give you trouble? Any enemies in the office or something? Just a thought, But it is really weird that a handfed baby suddenly turning aggressive. It might also be harmonal? But seems too early.

Subodh
084bar

Post by 084bar »

Nope..... I don't think so bez only me and my dad can get into my office (and my dad loves birds, that where I get it from) maybe she is a little older than the breeder told me

How do I attach a photo? so I could show you
Regards
Barbara

subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

You said you handfed peanut. so how can he/she be older? There might be a difference of maximum 2 weeks at the most.

You will have to upload on photobucket and then paste the link in the image section in the post.

Try it.

Subodh
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I saw you mentioned there were cats in the room. Is it possible one of them attacked the cage?

Melissa
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

084bar

Post by 084bar »

I would like to report that Peanut problem was not getting enough sleep, I was browsing this site and saw that nearly everyone had a bed time for there fethered baby, So I have been putting Peanut to bed no later than 19:30 for the last two days and been doing a little training. Yesterday s/he was a diffrent bird, sat on my shoulder and played with me, we are still going to have to do some more training bez still trys now and then to flap away but I am working out why and trying to meet Peanut needs at that time,

and about the cats, they don't bother about the bird

I would like to thank everybody for ur help, and will keep you updated about Peanut and my relationship
Regards
Barbara

subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Good to know that you figured out the problem.

Subodh