Where to start? Help please

Moderator: Mods

trinket87

Where to start? Help please

Post by trinket87 »

Hi all

Today I got a new Indian Ringneck who has been handled when he was younger but not much so is afraid to be handled and he has been in an aviary for a bit (not sure how long).
He is approx 18months old and is so far very quiet (am thinking he will come out of his shell after being here for a while longer)
His wings have been clipped at the petshop (this was done before I bought him).
I have him in a nice big cage with plenty of toys etc.

I would like to try to hand tame him and teach him to talk if possible?

I have had an Indian Ringneck before who I handled and who talked also however he had already been tamed before I had him so it was more a matter of him remembering it all than me teaching him so I don't know how to go about doing this with me new one.

Any tips, help etc would be very much appreciated thanks
subodhhire

Re: Where to start? Help please

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Trinket,

Welcome to the forum. The first and the foremost thing that you should do is let the bird settle down a bit. Since you got him only today. Let him settle down for atleast a week. You can just hang around the cage talk to him and stuff and try to feed him from between the bars of the cage. Once he is settled and starts accepting you and food from your hand you can proceed further. Wish you luck.

Subodh
Little Buttercup

Re: Where to start? Help please

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hi and welcome trinket, I agree let him settle in for a week or more. I also got an untame ringneck and left him alone for a week and then I started my training with him. Very quick he got the hang of it and understood that no way am I going out of the room until he stops his screaming. He is a very good quiet boy but still I can't touch him. He started his talking about a month after I got him. Patience is the key, I think. Wishing you lots of luck

Ash