Mirrors

Moderator: Mods

lola13

Mirrors

Post by lola13 »

My Lola is obsessed with her mirror. She kisses it, sleeps above it and turns it around hides behind it and peeks around playing hide and seek. I read in a post on the 40 something page about mirrors.

This person was scared of taking it out incase their IRN got upset. I had the same problem I took it away to clean it and she sqwarked till I came back.

I'm concerned that because Lola is not tame shell bond to the bird lookin back at her and it'll be harder for me to try and bond with her.
I'm also concerned taking it out she'll become upset and be angry at me for doing so.

Any ideas and suggestions would really be helpful! Thanks!
Shardia

Re: Mirrors

Post by Shardia »

Hello :) I put a mirror in Sonny's cage once and he got really attached to it, sat by it all the time and stopped sitting on his swing so he could be next to the mirror more and when I went to go into the cage he used to run at me more then he normally does as he's not friendly anyway. He normally came onto his perch when I go to talk to him, but he just kept on sitting by his mirror. In the end I just took it out as I think he thought it was another bird and was protecting it. So decided to take it out he did go back to his normal self so think it was for the best :)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I'm personally not a fan of giving birds mirrors. However, it is probably okay unless the behaviour turns obsessive. I once saw a poor cockatiel living in the back of a furniture store that had a habit of walking two steps away from the mirror and then walking straight back to it. He would do it over and over again - it was an obsessive behaviour. If he were my bird, I think I would remove the mirror, and I'd probably try to get the bird a mate (and I'd probably try to vary his surroundings more than the back of a furniture store!).

Ellie.
lola13

Post by lola13 »

Thank you both for the replies!

I'm really between to minds in taking it out. It seems to be only certain times she won't leave it alone. It doesn't effect her eating, drinking and playing. So I might see how it goes if she becomes obsessed I might think of taking it out.

I do want her to have a mate but as she's only6 months I'm wanting her to be somewhat tame.

She does bring me hours of enjoyment seeing her play with it!

Lola13
vatalicious

Post by vatalicious »

I have a 10-15 yr old cockatiel which I adopted about 6 months ago. It's previous owner told me he's had the same mirror for years and even makes love to it :lol: . He wasn't a socialized bird and was in a very small cage for what I belive a long period of time.

He's made progress in the last few months by removing it for a few minutes everyday and gradually increasing the time he has without it. He's finally able to sleep without it! He's still a cranky little old bird but is a lot calmer now and easier to train without the mirror.
Shardia

Post by Shardia »

lola13 wrote:Thank you both for the replies!

I'm really between to minds in taking it out. It seems to be only certain times she won't leave it alone. It doesn't effect her eating, drinking and playing. So I might see how it goes if she becomes obsessed I might think of taking it out.

I do want her to have a mate but as she's only6 months I'm wanting her to be somewhat tame.

She does bring me hours of enjoyment seeing her play with it!

Lola13

Same with Sonny didn't affect him eating drinking or playing, he just sat by it a lot of the time like I said above think he thought it was another bird and was protecting it. He did become a little more meaner as he didn't like me going near the mirror. I don't regret taking it out as I think it was for the best. Good luck with whatever you decide :)
Aww, poor cockatiel! Is it still there now Ellie? I hope he/she has found a lovely home!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I honestly don't know about the tiel. I've only ever been in the store once. I didn't make comment to the owner as I figured I didn't know about its context but perhaps I should have.

Ellie.
Shardia

Post by Shardia »

ellieelectrons wrote:I honestly don't know about the tiel. I've only ever been in the store once. I didn't make comment to the owner as I figured I didn't know about its context but perhaps I should have.

Ellie.

Aww, I hope to god he/she isn't still there! Maybe it's worth going back in and seeing if he's still there and then ask the owner why he's acting like he is. I hope he's got a new home though now. Such a shame.
lola13

Post by lola13 »

Well I took it out and she seemed ok till she started screaming and flapping her wings dead fast which both is a new thing that she's never done. But I don't know if its to do with the mirror going.

I'm now lost on what to do, I know what my bf will say put it back in.

So I don't know if its the mirror that's making her like this or she's just coming out of her shell!
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi lola,

Wait for a couple of days, let the bird calm down and then you start interacting with the bird as much as you can. Talk to him/her feed her treats with your hands and try to bond with him/her. Dont let it feel lonely because of the loss of the mirror.

Suodh
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Sorry i spelt my name wrong :lol: .Actually it is SUBODH
lola13

Post by lola13 »

Hey!

Well this morning I've got her going loopy! Bitting the bars proper destroying a toy and I put a hide away in her cage and she's attacking it and normally shed sleep on it.

I've never seen her this was I know she normally has a mad half hour in the morning but she seems a little angry. Was fine yesterday no behaviour like this!

I'm sitting with her and talking to her but she doesn't seem bothered I'm there just biting everything she can!

Ah I don't know what to do!!!
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi lola,

I dont know whether she is clipped or flighted. But in any case, let her out of the cage for some time. That will give her the change of atmosphere required. Then hopefully she will calm down. Dont give her the mirror back now or everytime you remove the mirror she will create a scene.

Subodh