Should I force train him or let him take his time

Moderator: Mods

triggerbug

Should I force train him or let him take his time

Post by triggerbug »

Hey! I've had Jojo for a month now. I have not taken him out of the cage since I got him, I have been putting my hand in there everyday to clean it out and clean and replace food and water in his dishes, also giving him fresh fruits and veggies separately. But also just leaving my hand in there and keeping it still so he can get used to it.

Over the last week I've noticed that he doesn't freak out as much with my hand in there, so i went out and got some millet today and sat in front of his cage with it open just holding the millet out to him. After an hour he eventually came and started to nibble on it and then ate it very enthusiastically :)

So my question really is, should force him to come out of the cage and try to train him that way, or should i just continue the way I am going. I have the patience of Job so it really doesn't matter how long it takes him. But is this another way of training? Just letting the bird get comfortable with you in his territory and let him venture out when he is ready?
MissK

Re: Should I force train him or let him take his time

Post by MissK »

Keep up the good work!
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

Here, since you have made so much progress already, I would stick with what you are doing. Changing your tactic now would confuse him and most likely break the trust you have already built.

Using food is definitely one of the best ways to train a IRN. XD
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Bug,

You are on the right track. please keep it up.

Subodh
triggerbug

Post by triggerbug »

Thanks guys for your advice! I've been reading everywhere and they say to use gloves to get him out etc. but then that could be bad because he would get used to the gloves and not your hand. Just really conflicting stuff. I've tamed lovebirds before and i know their bite and I can only how much worse a bite from this guy could be, but I am determined to hand train him!
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hey Bug,

If you are really slow and patient, you might not experience the bite at all.

Subodh
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi triggerbug

I don't think that gloves are right or wrong.... however, the gloves concept did not work for me because the gloves completely freaked my birds out.. I could have tried desensitising them to the gloves but I chose not to and just kept working with the hand.

Ellie.

P.S. I also echo Melika, MissK & Subodhhire's sentiments - you are doing really well. Keep going as you are and keep being patient. Use your intuition and go by your bird's body language. Congrats on your progress so far.
triggerbug

Post by triggerbug »

I'm actually getting a bit nervous now because I have been reading up on the moulting phase which I actually think he is going through now. On the top of his head I can see the feathers thinning a bit and the greyish fluff underneath, and he is preening A LOT! and these little fluffy feathers drop, not a lot of them, but probably around 10 or so a day.

Is he just going to let me help him with his head when those come out? Or am I going to have to take matters into my own hands, literally. I don't want to hurt him, but would love to go through this process with him but as of now he won't let me touch him. I've had lovebirds before but they did that for each other as they always looked impeccable, LOL!

Thanks guys again for the kind words of encouragement! So good to know I'm on the right path.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I don't think the _need_ our help with moulting, I think it may make it easier for them but I don't think it is necessary. The amount of feathers you describe is fine, even more than that can be normal.

Ellie.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Triggerbug,

Since you are not yet bonded with your bird and he is fairly new in your house you shouldnt help him during this molt. But I am sure during the next moult you can help him as much as you want :D .

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

I agree with Subodh.

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
triggerbug

Post by triggerbug »

Phew! I wasn't sure if I had to help him or not, I guess he'll figure out how to do his head on his own this time around :) Thanks guys and gals! And yes MissK they stick to everything!