How do you tell if they are friendly?

Moderator: Mods

MissK

How do you tell if they are friendly?

Post by MissK »

Drop me some input fast if you can.
Thanks,
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
sahhbear

Re: How do you tell if they are friendly?

Post by sahhbear »

Hiya!

Not sure if this can be of any help to you, because like you said the main things you've listed are typically what I look for as well.. However, I have noticed with my bird, Rani, he will tend to show dominant/jealous behaviour around birds he's not -all- that fond of.

I have a cockatiel as well and they're great together, supervised. They used to be housed together but Rani got too rough. When they're out together Rani will constantly try to seek my attention- be that in a positive or negative way.

I'm not sure if it's really anything other than Rani being over bonded to me at the moment, which we're working on? But that's a way I can tell he's going to be cantankerous.

Sarah
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Miss K,

Just look for the pinning of eyes also while he is dancing. If his eyes are pinning he might be not happy with the other bird. My Julie use to do it when any other bird bird use to come near her.

Subodh
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Pinning is a hard one because it can just mean they're excited. I would've thought the wing dance would be a positive sign but I don't think it's likely he will do that for another male bird. We had a little bird come to visit here the other day. He was a baby ringneck (7 months old) and I was VERY cautious letting my two near him. However, when we did let them out together (with four people hovering around to make sure no one hurt anyone), they got along really well. The types of behaviours I observed were:
- touching beaks but not in a nasty way, in fact it looked like they were touching tongues to me
- voluntarily coming close to each other (although mine started to get sick of him and would try to walk away, however if they really didn't like it, they could have flown away. As it was, he would keep following them around and they never lunged at him or anything)

Although I'm not sure if these behaviours were because the other bird was a baby, an adult could be different.

Ellie.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Ellie,

Even i dont think the pin dance is going to happen there, thats the reason i said to watch for pinning. Yes pinning means excited. But they also do it when they become territorial or dominant. I think Rocky wont do it but maybe the other bird might. So Miss K watch out for pinning of both the birds.

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

I think she will sell him to someone else.
Last edited by MissK on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
sahhbear

Post by sahhbear »

Glad to hear it went well!! I do hope you get to have a trial with the little guy, that seems to be the best option at this stage.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Miss K,

I think she will sell him to someone else.

Whatever happens it will be for your best.

Subodh