How long, how looooooonng???!!?!

Moderator: Mods

Carly_angel

How long, how looooooonng???!!?!

Post by Carly_angel »

Till Ziggy might say something? He's just under a year apparently, something showing neck wise but not black at all. I say hello, open the door, my favourite! Bye bye, good morning, night night, whatcha doing? Mmmm peanut! Pretty boy, and love you all to the same stimulus - eg pretty boy if he grooms and stretches, hello all the time, open the door when I'm putting my hand in the cage. I chat to him all the time, he goes PEEP!!! Occasionally and I always say hello, and at night he seems to chanter and crickel and herrrrr quietly... He's been home just under a fortnight ... I just want it to happen naturally... But HELP!? When Dya recon? X
fionalouise1989

Re: How long, how looooooonng???!!?!

Post by fionalouise1989 »

Some ringnecks dont start talking until they are over a year old some earlier and some dont even talk at all. So you can only do what you are doing and wait and see!! My friends ringneck start talked at about just after a year and it was all of a sudden. Every bird is different, so try not to be disappointed if he never talks they are still fun and beautiful creatures!!

Fi
Carly_angel

Post by Carly_angel »

Your totally right :) thank you! X
fionalouise1989

Post by fionalouise1989 »

No problem. Welcome to the forum too :-)
Fi
JConvry

Post by JConvry »

My IRN Jones started talking right around 9 months old.

I tried to do/say anything that would get his attention and make him interested in 'communicating'. I believe the most important thing is to 'train' him in a situation where he is aware of your presence and paying attention to you. If you talk to him while he's eating or looking around the room for a way to escape, then he's not going to remember the phrases.

The first thing he learned was a whistle I did every once in a while. He then slowly started making 'talking' sounds.

The first thing he said was 'tickle tickle'. It seemed like that was easy for him.

I try to talk in a pitch that seems easy for him to mimic to help him along, although I sound like a retarded seal while doing so.

Then slowly he started saying more and more things. His favorites are:

"Hello baby"
"What are you doin?"
"Wheeeee!"
"Ohh"
"Tickle Tickle"

I've heard him say a few other things, and mix them together. Like he'll say "Helloooo tickle babyyyyy". It cracks me up.

He'll talk to me every once in a while, but what really gets him excited is if a 'new' person is in the house that he is comfortable with. That and if I hold a mirror for him he goes off and talks to it non-stop.

Do a search for "JW Pet Company Insight Activitoys Hall of Mirrors" on petco's website. Jones goes nuts over that mirror.

Good luck!
Jason
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

JConvry wrote:
I try to talk in a pitch that seems easy for him to mimic to help him along, although I sound like a retarded seal while doing so.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: this made my stomach hurt. I think so many of us feel the exact same way with our IRN voices! :lol: :mrgreen:
MissK

Post by MissK »

It's not just the birds. When my dogs are upset I have to talk like ELMO!

I do it, though; Lord, I do it.

-MissK
-MissK
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjays daddi died a few weeks ago, but he used to sing to Sanjay in a Parroty sort of voice, it made me Howl with laughter!
JConvry

Post by JConvry »

Sanjay's Mommy: I'm sorry to hear about your loss... hopefully Sanjay has made it a little bit easier for you
deHens

Post by deHens »

Some birds just never talk, my 18 month old has never said anything. The only thing I have heard from her is a whistle. I'm trying for her to be avble to mimic my whistles, its a bit of a process, she can whistle she just hasnt whistled to me.

Start out with her mimicing your whistles, then she will learn to pick up your words.

Good luck,
Jack
Mia!