Is this bluffing

Moderator: Mods

sippy11

Is this bluffing

Post by sippy11 »

Hey guys

I starting to think my little Nila is going through her bluffing stage. The reason why are 1. She is becoming very cage protective. She puffs up and tries to bite you if you go near or in her cage, but she still will hop up and take food from our hand.
2. She has been very bitie when she is on your shoulder. She loves ears and moles or anything that sticks out. Also seem to think my glasses are a perch. :(
3. When she gets on your head and sometimes shoulder and she doesn't want to come down she will make her angry noise, then bite really hard so we can’t get down without losing a finger. It gets to the point where someone else needs to take her off.
4. When she is walking about(wings are clipped but we are waiting for them to grow back) and doesn’t want to step up, she will get low to the ground and run at you with beak open ready to bite what she can.

We have been trying to ignore the behaviours and when she get really bad put her in her cage. But it doesn’t seem to be stopping.
Also if it makes any difference she about 5 months old.
So I’m just wanting to know if this is bluffing and are we doing the right things to stop it.

Cheers
Sippy11
Melika

Re: Is this bluffing

Post by Melika »

Some birds just will never be trusted to be on shoulders. Hane will even pull out hair so from a young age he has never been allowed on shoulders.

I didn't like my birds walking around on the floor (too dangerous with the dogs and people walking about all the time) so they usually had a dedicated stand or stands to play on. If they were on the floor, they wanted back onto the stands and would come over to us to step-up. You might want to use a food lure for a while when she's on the floor, perhaps it will distract her from wanting to bite.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
sippy11

Re: Is this bluffing

Post by sippy11 »

Thanks we will give it a go :-)