Calling a bluff

Moderator: Mods

midnightflight

Calling a bluff

Post by midnightflight »

So, at what stage in life can I expect the bluffing phase to start?

If your bird is biting you hard and drawing blood, how can you make them stop without encouraging it more? (I don't relish the idea of just letting him bite me until he wants to let me go, after all it does hurt)

I have yet to experience this change, and am not looking forward to it...
phoenixrising

Re: Calling a bluff

Post by phoenixrising »

Hey, I don't have a bird but I have done research so I can tell you what to do, it is a stage more IRN's go through and it is completely normal. I would suggest that you wear gloves :) Show no sign of it hurting, no yelling or screaming and especially no punishment. This part of your parrots life will have a lot of say on their character. Here's a website that can give you more information:
http://www.indianringneck.com/bluffing/
:) I hope this helped
midnightflight

Post by midnightflight »

I did read this post, but I was wondering more what to do if he bites and does not let go. I mean how can you ignore a nasty bite that draws blood?
fionalouise1989

Post by fionalouise1989 »

A lot of the time if they are on your hand and you wobble it they must let go to get their balance. A lot of people advise not to wear gloves as then they never get used to your hands etc. another point I was reading is if you watch their body language you can sometimes tell when they are going to bite and therefore avoid the bite by not picking them up at that time or putting them down or some people distract them with a toy and let them bite that instead. If you search bluffing or biting on this site (its in the right hand corner) there's already a few threads about it.
Regards fi
MissK

Post by MissK »

Best wishes,
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
midnightflight

Post by midnightflight »

HAHAHA from what I have read, I would have to agree wholeheartedly with you on this MissK, I shall join your crusade to rename the bluff to the attacking phase XD.

I like the idea of deflecting the bite, or attempting to distract from the finger. I guess the tough part will be being quick enough.

I thought about gloves and then dismissed the thought, in my mind I knew a bird can bite and it was my choice to get one. Thank you for the advice though, I just wanted a way to discourage it without encouraging it...