My 11 week old indian ringneck won't use her feet

Moderator: Mods

Ruffles2012

My 11 week old indian ringneck won't use her feet

Post by Ruffles2012 »

Just need some help I have hand reared my indian ringneck from 3 weeks and when I put her in her cage she was climbing fine but tried to fly and hurt a wing. The wing is stronger again now but she won't walk on her feet or climb or hold a perch anymore she just hobbles around the bottom of her cage on her knees. Please help I am worried about her should I take her to the vet :cry: she loves to be on my shoulder but only seems to hold on with one foot and is showing no signs or stress or pain and still eats fine although she is weaning
MissK

Re: My 11 week old indian ringneck won't use her feet

Post by MissK »

I'm no vet, but I would say make the appointment today. There may be pain you don't see, and besides, if she used her body properly, then had an accident, and no longer uses her body properly, then she has clearly damaged her body.

Best wishes,
-MissK
-MissK
Ruffles2012

Post by Ruffles2012 »

I have made an appointment for Wednesday. It just seems odd because her poo is fine and I can move both limbs through full range of movement with out causing any dis comfort and she sort of uses it if she has to. Just thought she may be favouring it at the moment as she is only just getting her wing back to full strength
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

I agree with Miss K. Vet as soon as possible. If it would have been my bird. I wouldn't have waited till Wednesday. But the choice is yours.

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Ruffles,

I know a lot is said about checking the bird's poo, but in the case of a body injury it isn't so pertinent. For instance, you could break your leg and still poo just fine, yourself. But you would certainly not be OK!

Checking the range of movement WAS a good idea, but unless you are already skilled in this area I would hesitate to recommend it for you to do. The bird is small and delicate, and there is a good chance of making things worse if it happens that something is damaged there. Also, would you be in a position to recognize the sign if sometime was amiss but did not cause the bird to react visibly? I don't mean that you have damaged your bird, but that you might not want to take the chance by doing that sort of manipulation on your own.

One method to assess the need to involve a vet is this: Ask yourself, "If a human baby in my care had this problem, would I consult a doctor or a nurse?" If the answer is yes, then you probably should take the animal to the vet, unless you are already sufficiently skilled at fixing that problem yourself.

Best wishes,
-MissK
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Miss K,
I wanted to say exactly the same thing but was not able to. Very rightly said. I hope you got the message Ruffles.

Subodh
Ruffles2012

Post by Ruffles2012 »

Would have her to a vet today but some of us require something called money and the vet that I use isn't cheap
Ruffles2012

Post by Ruffles2012 »

Would have her to a vet today but some of us require something called money and the vet that I use isn't cheap
Ruffles2012

Post by Ruffles2012 »

I have had and raised birds for 10 years infact I gave my sulphur of 14 yrs to my mate as he was gettin to noisey for suburbia and is ready to breed and he has female who is also ready. We also have a musk lorikeet who is 2. Ruffles is still happy friendly and playful and uses her feet if she has too but has been pampered and watched over 24/7. I am expecting a vet bill of around 500 as I will want X-rays. I was just hoping someone else may have seen a similar condition. All of our animals are like our children as we are unable to have any of our own
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Ruffles,
I understand your situation cause i sail in the same boat as you. Hope all goes well with your bird. Sorry if i sounded little rude.

Subodh
Ruffles2012

Post by Ruffles2012 »

All good just really worried about her and don't want to hear the worst, I have spent so may hours with her and she means the world to me
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

The most interesting thing here to me is?
If the bird did hurt it's self, what did you do for the pain?
If the bird was or still is in pain it seems a long time to leave her this way if you are not going to the vet till Wednesday.
And by then if there is any serious damage it will harder to fix.
If I read what you have said right it may only be bruised. But it still comes down to pain and quick treatment off this.
I am sorry but I would of been off to the vet right away for an opinion and Metacam.
Mind you I do try to always have some Metacam on hand for just such a situation.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Ruffles

Welcome to the forum.

I'm glad to hear your bird will be getting medical attention soon. I hope it goes well.

I haven't had a similar problem with my guys. Being prey animals, birds do tend to mask injury symptoms if they can.

How is he going now?

I wish you and your bird all the best.

Ellie.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Clawnz - pardon my ignorance but is there a bird version of metacam?

Ellie.
Ruffles2012

Post by Ruffles2012 »

As I said in my previous post Clawnz I would have had her to the vet sooner and yes would have medication but unless you are offering an open cheque book my hands are tied as I am unable to pay with a trade of some beans a goat and 2 chickens
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

ellieelectrons wrote:Clawnz - pardon my ignorance but is there a bird version of metacam?

Ellie.
Metacam is the pain killer given to any bird that is hurt that turns up at the rescue.
I do not think they do a bird specific Metacam. I think it is the cat strength.
The strange thing is that from what I understand, is the birds do not suffer from organ damage like cats and dogs do with prolonged use.
Dose and amounts per day is the critical thing, that I am always told to watch.
And I would not use it for more than a few days myself.
But have heard of birds that are dosed over prolonged periods of time.

As I said in my previous post Clawnz I would have had her to the vet sooner and yes would have medication but unless you are offering an open cheque book my hands are tied as I am unable to pay with a trade of some beans a goat and 2 chickens. Quote.

I am sorry about your financial worries. I would of still asked my vet to give me Metacam for the pain and explain that I would be in as soon as I had the money to get a full check over.
But I am lucky that I have a decant vet that I deal with all the time and have spent a few thousand in the last few years with my Fids.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Ruffles--I hope your bird is doing better! Perhaps you might call around for a vet that might setup a payment plan? Please try to get your little monster to a vet . :O) MissK brought up some great points.

MissK, subodhhire, clawnz --I know you are all are passionate about rignecks, but we have to say things with more finesse. It is important all our members here feel at home. All of us mods try to create an environment where no one is judged.

Also, it must be said, though your comments were direct, I know it can sometimes be misleading as the tone of your voices cannot be heard in your responses. I always say, text is like a dagger--it's how the reader catches it! :O) Anyway, I share the same fight and passion as all of you for these marvelous creatures! :OP

This topic is now locked to ensure it does not perpetuate further.

Best Wishes, :wink:

IMRAN-C