hormonal

Moderator: Mods

demmo

hormonal

Post by demmo »

hi everyone
my names dave i live in the uk i have a 5 year old pre owned irn ive had him for 8mths he's very tame and friendly allways has been.but he has got very hormonal in the last few weeks,he has become very clingy to me if i get up to leave the room he flys after me and lands on my back if i manage to escape him and get out the room he screams his head off.the only time i get a break from him is when he goes to his cage for food and i shut his door hes ok for a while if i am in the room but he becomes noisey again if i leave the room i can't win lol.i love him to bits but he's doing my head in at the moment.i have read that on here things might cool off around may after the breeding season i hope so because all he wants to do is hump and tap his beak on the back of my head lol also ive read that you need to distract him and take his mind off it.as anyone else got any suggestions.

thank you
Melika

Re: hormonal

Post by Melika »

I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
demmo

Post by demmo »

hi melika

thank you for the link to an interesting article.i have read similar on avianweb and taken on board the do's and don'ts,i seem to be doing all the right things,sleep,diet,etc.but it does not deter minty he just gets on with it.distraction does work for a while but he comes striaght back and hes at it again.so i say what the heck let him do what he has to do he allways works up an appetite and when he goes in the cage for food i shut his door and get a bit of peace :lol: i am going to experiment with a soft toy and see if he will divert his hormonal intentions to that,as i live alone.

thank you
demmo

Post by demmo »

well the soft toy has not worked as a diversion.but it has worked as a distraction,he does not like it so when he becomes hormonal towards me i just show him the toy and he backs away :lol: i have stopped putting fruit and treats on top of the cage,so he has to go inside when he is hungry and gives me a chance to shut the door as i have limited the amount of time i allow him out of the cage to a couple of hours.he does get noisy from time to time wanting to come out,but a stern talking to and a wagging finger shuts him up for a while.i have put a stainless steel mirror in his cage hoping he takes a fancy to his self :lol: and i get a bit of peace :D