Male hormonal aggression??

Moderator: Mods

taywer321

Male hormonal aggression??

Post by taywer321 »

My ringneck Buddy is going to be 2 years old in March. He has always been the sweetest bird and loves people, and has never bitten anyone, including myself. But recently he just started nipping other people, even my family members, which is strange, shocking and completely out of character. But he does not act this way with me. I am wondering if maybe he is going through something hormonal since he is reaching sexual maturity? Has anyone else experienced this out of the blue aggression with a maturing male? I am just hoping it's a phase and that it will pass, because now nobody at my house trusts him because the biting is so random and out of the blue. He will be giving kisses and playing, talking one minute and then lunge and bite..
Melika

Re: Male hormonal aggression??

Post by Melika »

It reminds me of a typical Amazon, when they get over-stimulated or excited they are more likely to bite. Might this be the case?
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
taywer321

Post by taywer321 »

Its hard to tell if its from being overstimulated because it is so random. He will be talking one minute and then lunging the next. Its really very sad because he's so loved by the family, but I am the only one that trusts him now because of it.
Melika

Post by Melika »

It could possibly be attributed to hormones, but could also be something that has changed in his environ and sets him on edge. Even when Hane is high hormonal he gives clear signals that he is in a 'nippy' mood. And sometimes he becomes nippy when he's singing and gets overexcited (or doesn't want to be interrupted lol!).

Aside from that, since it is only you he is safe with, he might think that you're his mate. This is my favourite article regarding this type of behaviour- remember that most 'undesirable' behaviors stem from something we are doing first. :) http://rationalparrot.com/tease.html
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
taywer321

Post by taywer321 »

Yes I'm thinking that could be it as well. I'm also wondering if it is because I've allowed his wings to come in and he can fly. I am thinking about clipping him again until his bad behavior is curbed.. Thank you so much!
MissK

Post by MissK »

I do wish I could be of more help.
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
taywer321

Post by taywer321 »

I am against clipping as well, and all three of my birds can fly. Clipping would be my last resort and I only considered it because when he flies, he lands on my family members and they do not want him to because of the random biting. I feel like I can't get him out as much because of that, cause he has the freedom to fly to whatever person he chooses.. so it is limiting his time outside of the cage. :( I hope it passes and is just a phase due to him approaching sexual maturity.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Well, I see your point about limiting access to people who are scared of him.

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
taywer321

Post by taywer321 »

I had him out just a few minutes ago. I practiced having him step up for my husband (victim of biting, and doesn't like the bird now) and then praised him when he sat on his finger nicely, and then had him step onto my finger and praised him again. Everything seemed to be well. He was walking around on the kitchen table "posturing" at me, which he has always done. Only difference is, today he began knocking his beak repeatedly on the table while pinning his eyes at me. I think this might be a courtship advance toward me, and he is biting my family in an attempt to ward off possible threats or "intruders".
This may well be my own fault, because I give my birds lots of kisses and lovey attention.. I think my Buddy may be confused. Haha! So beginning today, I am going to stop kissing him directly on his beak, and no more lovey pets until the situation diffuses. I am still going to work with him and my family.. I truly do not want to clip my little guy, I was just beginning to feel helpless in the situation because my family has been resentful toward his biting phase. I will keep you posted on the progress as I change my interactions with him!
Thanks so much for the replies! :)
MissK

Post by MissK »

Birdie beak kisses???
Last edited by MissK on Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
-MissK
sahhbear

Post by sahhbear »

Okay so I searched through the threads in the hope of finding some answers for my guy because he's been evil recently and came across this great post!!! I think perhaps I'm in the same boat? Although I don't think that my IRN, Rani, is as old as your Buddy. It is difficult to tell because when I bought him the lady really had NO idea how old he was. I suspect a few months old, which puts him at under a year. He hasn't got a ring yet but he's going through a really horrible stage.

He's screaming whenever he's in the cage (always wants to be with me), biting a lot, attacking our other bird (he's housed with a cockatiel which up until now hasn't been a problem once they were familiarised) and just in general being really horrible which is not at all like him.

I too, was growing his wings out (both were clipped when I bought him) but I'm thinking perhaps I MAY have to look into clipping again because he's been displaying dominance?? recently, where he'll fly up high and screech then attack if I go to get him.

He's also just recently started attacking me if put my hand out when he's on me. Attacking the other members of my family if he flies on the table and they put their hand out to get him. And they've said they regret getting him! (eek)

I know he's super intelligent and gets bored easily so I get him out as often as I can and he plays with his little foot toys out of the cage and walks around and I change the toys in his cage periodically to try to counter-act this. He also has a little forriger cage which he gets vegetables in daily...

I just don't know if it's a stage? Or how I handle it? He's like Buddy he'll be super, super sweet one second and then FERAL!! I have tried holding my finger up to him and saying NO!!! (which he pins his eyes at) My dad has sprayed him with water when he attacked our other bird but none of it seems to have had any effect on his behaviour and I really don't want to do anything that will make him even worse! Do you have any ideas? I'd really appreciate it!