IRN only talks when in cage?

Moderator: Mods

dorfmunder

IRN only talks when in cage?

Post by dorfmunder »

Hello, everyone! I'm new here but do keep up with the FB page. :)

My blue male (DNA'd) IRN, Eephus, is 9 months old. He is incredibly sweet, loving and cuddly and is starting to talk quite a lot. EXCEPT it's only in his cage! When I first get him out he will go through his repertoire once along with very excited body language and that's it. He talks & squawks up a storm in his cage and is almost always making some kind of noise in there LOL. He is out of the cage quite a lot, spends a lot of time on me or the play gym. He doesn't make a peep on the play gym, either. I love hearing him and my cockatiel be obnoxious all day, I work from home and I really enjoy the constant chatter. Just wish it was when he was out of the cage!

Is this typical behavior or is he especially shy about talking while out?

Also, he isn't as playful and curious as a lot of IRN's I've seen videos of. He's pretty much only interested in being cuddled up under my chin and preening me. :lol:

Are there any things I can do to encourage him to come out of his shell and become more playful? I've had him since he was weaned and have consistently given him loads of attention and fun toys, but he's always been this way. Of course I adore him just the way he is, but I'd like to see him have more fun. He's quite the serious fellow!

Thanks for any input and glad to be here!
Melika

Re: IRN only talks when in cage?

Post by Melika »

Whoa whoa wait- we have a FB page? XD

I would suggest limiting the length of time you cuddle, to avoid being a mate. Then I would begin instituting foraging toys. Ellie posted some links and there's more on the forum as well. http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... ing#p85215

Foraging while on his playstand may teach him to play more and be interested in toys.

Also, some birds 'practice' in their cage until they get it perfect. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
dorfmunder

Post by dorfmunder »

Thanks, I will try leaving him alone more LOL! I do use foraging toys, such as wrapping small bits of nuts, raisins, etc in dried corn husk bundles tied to twine. He also loves the grapevine balls with shredded paper in them, although he destroys them very quickly. ;) I'll work on expanding his foraging options.

Very encouraging to hear that he may just be practicing in his cage! He is shocking me with how many words he practices and how quickly he picks them up. He's at the stage where only people in our house know what the words are, but they are beyond the shadow of a doubt that they are the things we repeat to him all the time. We have also had some surprise ones that he picked up on from hearing them repeatedly around the house. The dog whining is something I don't particularly want to hear in stereo, but oh well! :lol: It's so much fun!

Thanks for the reply. :)
MissK

Post by MissK »

The dog whining - HAHAHAHA!!!!! (But seriously, why is the dog whining?)
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
dorfmunder

Post by dorfmunder »

The dog is just a whiner LOL! She whines when we eat, whines at the cat, whines to go in & out of her room, pretty much whines about everything.

I'm happy to report that not handling Eephus as much has helped! He's done a bit of talking and playing on the gym. :D

That is so funny about your little guy! I love when they surprise us with silly little things like that. IRN's have such wonderful personalities, little bit of sass with the sweetness. ;)
MissK

Post by MissK »

They're so fun.
-MissK