1st time hand rearing!

Moderator: Mods

MojoandMe

1st time hand rearing!

Post by MojoandMe »

Hi there! I am brand new to owning a bird an the gorgeous little man (Mojo) i got is not quite fully weaned yet! He is 9 - 10 weeks old an i am feeding him through a large syringe. I bought him directly from the breeder so he has been handled andd been interacting with people quite alot. He is very timid and buries his head into any little corner he can find.
I have been very quiet and gentle with him as i'm sure that it would be a big change to.go from Mums house into the big bad world! My question is aprox how long til Mojo might start to settle into his new home with me!? :) I am home full time at the moment so i have all day, every day to spend with him! I look forward to hearing back from somebody soon! :)
Melika

Re: 1st time hand rearing!

Post by Melika »

A belated welcome. How is the little Mojo doing? Young IRNs settle down very quickly.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Crayon Parrots

Re: 1st time hand rearing!

Post by Crayon Parrots »

I just bought a baby from a breeder too. At first he hid a lot and tried to hide under his blanket in his little box(mine is younger) and was very nervous. I left him alone for a few days to let him calm down and just got him out to feed him and I talked to him in a very sweet soft voice when I did, and Id pet him and kiss him after feeding him. Then I started to get him out and sit him on my chest while I watched tv or Id cuddle him in my blanket on my chest and Id talk to him and rub his little head and under his wings...Ive only had him for a week and a day and he now gets very excited when I baby talk to him and now associates me with his food and really wants to get to me. Same with my green cheeks, I cuddled and talked to my cinnamon green cheek and lifted her wing to rub under it and now as an adult she LOVES to be rubbed behind the neck and under the wing and will even lift the wing to be rubbed and will rub behind her neck with her own feet asking me to love on her...she even rolls over. My baby ringneck is even learning to lift the wing to be rubbed. Talk to them and pet them all over and make lots of time for baby and he will love you.

I have a fb page called Crayon Conures with lots of pics and vids of him and my conures if you want to see :)