Introducing a new bird. Need some help :)

Moderator: Mods

TomAndGene

Introducing a new bird. Need some help :)

Post by TomAndGene »

Hey i just got my second ring neck, A green one this time.

My question is: how do i introduce him to my other irn?

I put them cage by cage for 2 weeks, They chirp to each other and eat at the same times etc but if they get close to each other they hiss and attack each other. Could anyone link me to a thread that has this question discussed in it? that would be awesome, Ty.
ellieelectrons

Re: Introducing a new bird. Need some help :)

Post by ellieelectrons »

Have you tried having them out of their cages together during very supervised playtime? Also which bird is the aggressor? Try disrupting Gene's routine as much as you can e.g. Move perches around, change cage location, etc.

Ellie.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

TomAndGene

Post by TomAndGene »

Thanks for your reply ellie, very informative.

I'll try what you said in those other posts aswell as the supervised play time.

It's actually quite strange, Rio is usually the one who snaps first (5week old green irn, not sure of gender) Gene will sit on his cage and clean herself but she only attacks once rio does.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

If Rio is the one to attack first, perhaps s/he is just plain scared whereas Gene feels at home. If the supervised play doesn't work, just go back to cages close. You may even consider moving Rio further away from Gene for the time being, possibly out of sight. Perhaps you could focus on building your relationship with Rio for now & wait until Rio gets curious about Gene? I can't remember what gender Gene is.

Ellie.
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Ive got the same probably at the moment. A new addition (ringo starr, 10 weeks old) tries to attack salvador whenever he has the chance. Very difficult actually, as he has just learnt to fly and just constantly flies over to be on my shoulder, but then will go out of his way to lunge at salvador on my other shoulder, repeatedly. Hes been aggressive to salvador since before he had feathers but now its actually becoming a problem. Salvador doesnt have any aggression in him, and despite being 2 years older, is an absolute pansy :lol:
Ringo doesnt have a set routine, and is quite used to be passed around the household and going anywhere, doing anything so it hasnt really worked to take him somewhere else...
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I'm wondering if it's because he's young? Our Charlie was inclined to have a bit of lunge at other birds when we first got him home.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hang in there.
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

And here I have the exact OPPOSITE problem :(

Our new IRN, Pepper, is 13 weeks old now, got her a week ago. She's not hand-raised, so we know we have our work cut out for us in taming her, but from day one all she wanted to do was get as close to our mature boy, Skittles, as she could, (and in a friendly way, not aggressive).

Skittles is the one being very aggressive, and appears to be getting worse, not better. We always intended them to be in separate cages for a good period of time before trying to house them together, but now I fear they will not ever bond with each other :| Before we brought Pepper home, we changed the location of Skittles' cage and playgym from the front lounge to the back living area, in preparation for having two birds in the house. I also changed his cage toys etc around so it was all new to him. About 4 days into her arrival, when it became apparent our mature boy was starting to chase Pepper from both the big playgym and the smaller one we made, we decided to strip the playgyms of all the toys and ropes etc to try and de-personalise them from Skittles 'ownership'. We are slowly adding bits and pieces back on, but his behaviour is deteriorating rapidly, both with her and us....he is becoming quite 'feral', and is definitely not a happy bird anymore.

We are at a loss as to what to do now. Should we put them in separate rooms again? Although Skittles would quite happily welcome that option, poor Pepper I think would fret not being able to see him, (she still wants to make friends with him even though he tries to attack her!).

Is it possibly because of the age difference between them? We have no idea how old Skittles is, only that he is at least 3 years old, and fully matured. He could be 25yo for all we know :shock:

Is it possible, given time and a bit of effort, that Skittles will eventually accept Pepper at the very least as a playmate, if not a breeding mate? :(
Regards Deb