2.5 month old ringneck

Moderator: Mods

RICCO

2.5 month old ringneck

Post by RICCO »

Hi I'm new this site and a new owner of a IRN, we got him last week from a breeder and he settled in very nicely. His been eating apples, bananas, broccoli, and seed mix which he only picks out sunflower seeds. He loves to play with me flys around the house, but gets hard to get him back in his cage which he refuses to do so. We named him RICCO :)

I have a couple of questions

1) how can I get him to eat pellets? He picks them up buh drops them after putting them in his mouth
2) when can I start training him to talk and to do tricks? ( his 2.5 months old)
3) he sometime closes one eye is it something serious?
4) how can I introduce him to bathing? He seems to hate water doesn't go near it.
5) how can I get him to go to its cage without flying back on my hand
RICCO

Re: 2.5 month old ringneck

Post by RICCO »

Anyone??????
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi,

I'm not very experienced with IRN's, we have only had our mature boy for a few months now. But I can maybe answer a few of your queries, and hopefully someone else will chip in with some info for you also.

1) I've heard that can you mix in the pellets with the seed, start off with a small amount then gradually increase the ratio. You might also want to consider taking out the sunflower seeds from the mix, and only giving as a treat when rewarding or training your bird. Sunflower seeds are high in fat, apparently, so you won't want your bird just eating them alone :)
2) Training/Talking - I've heard stories of IRNs as young as 3 months trying to form words etc, and others say 7-8 months is when they start getting vocal, but it all depends on the time and effort you put in, I guess. It certainly wouldn't hurt for you to start trying now. IRNs are very good mimickers, and will usually start mumbling to themselves when they think you've left the room/house etc as a practice run. Just talk lots to him/her and maybe start of with short phrases like "Hello (name)", "Pretty boy/girl/bird", "Good boy/girl/bird" etc. Also, youtube is a great place to find vid's for training parrots .
3) Closing one eye - Is it possible he is having a nap, but keeping one eye open for predators? Birds (and certain other animals) actually do this - there is a name for it but it escapes me at the moment - they sleep with only their brain or something, one half shuts down but the other half is still awake, on patrol for potential predators, if you will. I don't think I'd be worried unless there were other symptoms present that might indicate he was sick.
4)Bathing - We use a squirty (spray) bottle to give Skittles his bath. We usually have him outside on the back patio for awhile first so he can warm up, then spray him through the bars of his cage. Before long he is usually hanging off the side of the cage, spreading his wings out and back, so we can squirt him all over......and then if we stop, he usually goes straight for his water bowl and tries to get his whole body into it! Hilarious to watch :D You can also buy large stainless steel bowls that attach to the side off the cage for them to bath in, but I'd try the squirty bottle first, and see how that goes.
5)Getting IRN back into cage - When inside, we leave the door to Skittles cage open so he can come and go as he pleases. He has a 'playgym' made from a tree branch stuck in a bin on wheels covered in climbing ropes and toys that he spends most of the day on, only going back into his cage for food and water, and to sleep at night. Our bird isn't hand tame AT ALL, so if we want him to go back in before he's ready (if we need to leave the house for work/shopping etc) we put a piece of millet into his foraging toy inside the cage, and he's in like a flash! You'll could find something that your bird absolutely LOVES to encourage him to stay in the cage when you want him to, while keep persisting with his training so that hopefully he will just go of his own accord.

Hope some of this helps :)
Regards Deb
RICCO

Post by RICCO »

Thank you soo much

I have been trying to put pellets in seeds and he starting to recognize them as food now.
Great information though :) I'll try the things u posted and give an update on it
Thanks again
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

No worries, and yes, please, let us know how you get on :D
Regards Deb
RICCO

Post by RICCO »

Hi, RICCO is getting better at his eating habits. LOves to eat the zupreem pellets now. It was preety hard to get him to eat pellets. We took the seeds and mixed them with the pellets, well his no dumb bird he will throw out the pellets that get in his way and eats the seeds. Then we took all the seeds out and left only pellets for the whole day, he ate a few and from that day he loveees to eat them.
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Great to hear!! I might also try just leaving pellets in for Skittles, as he too has decided to throw them out of his cup and just eat the seed!

And how is your training going? Are you still having trouble getting RICCO into his cage when you want him to go in?
Regards Deb
RICCO

Post by RICCO »

That's still a trouble but he goes in when he wants to/ gets tiered
MissK

Post by MissK »

RICCO,

Best wishes!
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
RICCO

Post by RICCO »

Yes Thank you, i am going to try that next time i take him out. he took his first bath on tuesday all by himself. it was an amazing sight and cute as well :)
Thanks agian. do i take the food out before taking him out right?
MissK

Post by MissK »

Good luck.
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
redbird

Post by redbird »

hey there,

one more thing.. re getting back into cage - can you get him up on a stick? if not.. start target training him.
Red took to the stick very quickly.. without it i couldnt get her back into the cage without handling.

if so, pick him and walk him back.. he might fly to top of cage a few times but eventually he`ll go in.. worked for me.
im only new to this and just sharing my experience.. hope this helps!
Cheers
ian