female mating stance

Moderator: Mods

archil

female mating stance

Post by archil »

Recently my female indian ringneck has been crouching down into what I'm assuming is a mating pose or, what ever they do when they're about to be mounted. [crouching down, sometimes spreading her wings a bit, and clucking softly] She does it every time I go near her and the only thing that will make her stop is if I leave the room for a short while.
She's been doing the for about two months.
Is there any way I can stop this or anything anyone can think of that may be causing this?
I am not sure how old she is as we bought her second hand off of people who also bought her second hand.
jarreds mutations

Re: female mating stance

Post by jarreds mutations »

try putting a male with her. they MIGHT breed :)
archil

Post by archil »

I've thought of putting a male with her but at the moment I have five birds and another ringneck may be a bit too much for me.
Plus they're quite expensive and I don't have a lot of money spare at the moment.
jarreds mutations

Post by jarreds mutations »

oh fair enuf. they are only $100 at the most were im at but thats only for a yellow one. blue ones and cinnamon are about $80 from the store
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Arhcil - my female does the same thing for me, for my husband and for our male bird. Our vet didn't think it was anything to worry about unless you notice her presenting more sexual behaviours (eg. rubbing the vent area on you or regurgitating food to you). During breeding season I refrain from patting her as much as possible and when I do pat her, only on the head, not lower down on the body.

I'd be interested to hear others take on this too as I'm not sure what I am doing is right.

Good luck.

Ellie.
archil

Post by archil »

I'm not sure how long mating season is
But I'm pretty sure it's lasted longer than that
I also have a problem with her biting really hard
If she's not doing this mating thing
She's biting me or screaming
I've tried ignoring it but
It doesn't seem to work
can birds have hormone problems or anything?