not sure whats going on????????????

Moderator: Mods

steam_n_tink

not sure whats going on????????????

Post by steam_n_tink »

Hi I recently rescued 2 Indian ringnecks they have been paired together since they were young from what I was told, they are supposed to be around 5 years old. they were locked up in a room with no attention so they have a slight biting issue with hands right now but not worried about that have worked with many birds to get them through that, what I do not know what is going on is the male has started plucking the females tail feathers, he does nothing else to her anywhere else other than he brings food to her and feeds her when i give him treats. he does chatter to her lightly and does the grab her by the beak thing like tiels do before they mate, but I have never seen a male pluck all the tail feathers out of a female before, does anyone know why he would be doing this? he doesnt pluck himself at all only her tail.

plz help

thanks
jarreds mutations

Re: not sure whats going on????????????

Post by jarreds mutations »

they might be prepairing to breed but im not sure about the plucking of the tail fethers?
sanjays mummi

Re: not sure whats going on????????????

Post by sanjays mummi »

There is a spray you can buy to stop feather plucking, he may be preening her too zealously, but you need to make her tail feathers unappetising while she still has them!.