VERY LOUD!

Moderator: Mods

PepperFetouh

VERY LOUD!

Post by PepperFetouh »

okay my baby has two habits i dont quite understand, first one is that he every once in a while does this very loud noise its almost like screaming, he does it at different times and nothing seems to calm him down and then suddenly he just stops and acts normal again, is this something normal?

another thing is that most the times he is with me he tries to get on top of my head and stays there i cant get him to stay on my hand or shoulder he has to climb up my head, other times he just stays on my chest and lets me cuddle with him but mostly he is on my head, why?

he is two months old (not sure if he is a he yet)
Pepper, hawk's mommy
Charliee

Re: VERY LOUD!

Post by Charliee »

This is normal behaviour, trust me, all my birds do it.
Regards,
Ally.
.Welcome To The Forum.
PepperFetouh

Post by PepperFetouh »

thank you :D
Pepper, hawk's mommy
mattcoffs

Post by mattcoffs »

I am reading a very interesting book at the moment that i posted a recommendation on this forum about you might like to check out...

From what i've read, when the bird is higher than you they feel more dominant - and are establishing themselves as the dominant member of their "flock." It is best to keep the bird below shoulder level until the appropriate order is established (so this book tells me!)

As for the calls, it is very normal and appropriate for parrots to loudly vocalise in the morning and evenings. It is instinctual. They are basically doing it to find out where their flock is. It is best to ignore the bird completely while it is being loud - if you want a quiet bird. By replying, yelling, whistling back to the bird you're rewarding it for it's noise. And parrots love drama! Ignoring the bird and avoiding eye contact while they're loud is a quick and effective way of teaching your bird that being loud is not the answer to getting what they want.

Be sure to praise your bird though, a couple of minutes after they've stopped to re-affirm them they've done good. :)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

mattcoffs wrote:From what i've read, when the bird is higher than you they feel more dominant - and are establishing themselves as the dominant member of their "flock." It is best to keep the bird below shoulder level until the appropriate order is established (so this book tells me!)
I've read that too but I've had an equal number of people whose opinions I value dismiss it. My personal stance is that I don't like birds on my head... and I won't let my Janey on my shoulder because she occasionally bites ears. I allow my Charlie on my shoulder though. When I say "don't allow" I should say I discourage it because I can't always stop her from getting there... but when she does I do my best to get her to get of there ASAP.

The shoulder thing is a really hard issue because birds naturally want to climb there... both of mine will retreat to my shoulder when they are scared.

Ellie.
kimijean

Post by kimijean »

mattcoffs wrote:From what i've read, when the bird is higher than you they feel more dominant - and are establishing themselves as the dominant member of their "flock." It is best to keep the bird below shoulder level until the appropriate order is established (so this book tells me!)
From what I understand this is, for the most part, no longer considered to be true. What year was the book published??

Kim
mattcoffs

Post by mattcoffs »

Hmmm not sure when it was published as i dont have it with me at te moment... Ill check that later. For what its worth i do allow my Sammy on my shoulder, but i only let her stay there if i place her up there...
kimijean

Post by kimijean »

There's nothing wrong with believing height equals dominance. I don't like birds on my head and will not allow them there. But I do let them on my shoulder, as long as they behave, and they have play top cages so when up there they are "taller" than I am. :O)

Kim