Hi everybody, Im a newbie and need some advise!

Moderator: Mods

Flowergirl

Hi everybody, Im a newbie and need some advise!

Post by Flowergirl »

Hi everybody,

I have some question regarding my african RNs. My husband got me a pair of arn as mother day gift. I Love birds and I would love to have them tame. I am not so sure how old they are. The male Rio has the ring so iam assuming he is at least 3years old. The female Lulu is about the same size as the male but of course no ring. Anyway, I've been having my two babies for 5 days they seem to be adjusting well, they eat and sleep well, they sing, well more like they make different types of noises :D but when I get close to the cage they fly to the to of the cage and don't want to come closed they seem scared :( I have read patience is the key but iam getting quite worried that they just don't like me or I would not be able to tame them. Do you think that's normal? Today I stuck a cheery tomato on a grilling stick and tried to give it to them but they woulnt take it. I speak to them, sing or just sat beside the cage and still I don't get any closer to them, when iam close they wouldn't even stand on their perch but would hang up. Do you think that my birdies are too old to be tame? What do you recommend else to do? I want to open the cage and let them out to explore the house maybe they'll get more confortable do you think that's wise thing to do? Or will that be worse?

Please any advise will help, don't know what else to do. Btw Rio since more social than Lulu he would hand upside down and would look at me I think is trying to show off but hey it is just my optimistic thinking that he might be bonding somehow. How can you tell your birdie is happy or sad?

Thanks for reading this long post. And thanks in advance for your replies! :wink:

Glen - flowergirl
Sweetedge

Re: Hi everybody, Im a newbie and need some advise!

Post by Sweetedge »

aww congrats on your two new babies - they sound lovely.

I think you're totally right - I'm no expert at all like some of the people on this lovely forum, but patience is the key I have found. I would just spend as much time as you can sat with them. My little boy would go completely mental when we even took a step towards his cage. He would hit the sides and eventually get as far into the corner as he could and it was horrible to watch him do that, so we just used to take it in turns to sit in his room with him and talk to him. We would also move his cage into the other rooms we were sat in to try and get him used to us just being around him, the sounds of our voices and our day to day activities around the house. Eventually he let us sit next to the cage without going mental. Once he had stopped flipping with us near the cage, we took the plunge and opened his door (He has his own bedroom so we made sure he couldn't hurt himself anywhere in the room). Eventually he came out onto a stand we put next to the cage and we would sit with him whilst he was out and about.

Sullie wasn't hand reared, so it has been slow taming him and we still have a long way to go but I don't believe yours are too old to tame at all - they just need to get used to you and their new home and then eventually they will accept you as part of their 'Flock'

They really are wonderful little birds, so congrats again :)

Trace & Sullie xxx
chuckles

Post by chuckles »

Flowergirl wrote:Hi everybody,

I have some question regarding my african RNs. My husband got me a pair of arn as mother day gift. I Love birds and I would love to have them tame. I am not so sure how old they are. The male Rio has the ring so iam assuming he is at least 3years old. The female Lulu is about the same size as the male but of course no ring. Anyway, I've been having my two babies for 5 days they seem to be adjusting well, they eat and sleep well, they sing, well more like they make different types of noises :D but when I get close to the cage they fly to the to of the cage and don't want to come closed they seem scared :( I have read patience is the key but iam getting quite worried that they just don't like me or I would not be able to tame them. Do you think that's normal? Today I stuck a cheery tomato on a grilling stick and tried to give it to them but they woulnt take it. I speak to them, sing or just sat beside the cage and still I don't get any closer to them, when iam close they wouldn't even stand on their perch but would hang up. Do you think that my birdies are too old to be tame? What do you recommend else to do? I want to open the cage and let them out to explore the house maybe they'll get more confortable do you think that's wise thing to do? Or will that be worse?

Please any advise will help, don't know what else to do. Btw Rio since more social than Lulu he would hand upside down and would look at me I think is trying to show off but hey it is just my optimistic thinking that he might be bonding somehow. How can you tell your birdie is happy or sad?

Thanks for reading this long post. And thanks in advance for your replies! :wink:

Glen - flowergirl
try not to let them out of the cage at all if they aren't tame , unless your are plannig to let them out of their cages for good , they gonna cause you alot of trouble getting them to come back into their cages , when i first got my bird i made the mistake of letting him out , he went completely mental , started to scream at anyone who come near him and wouldnt come back to his cage , instead he climbed my drapes and stayed on top for like 30 minutes before i got him to stand on a perch and got him back into the cage . so before you let them out they must be tame , try to find their favorite food " apples for mine" and hold it between the cage bar and see if they come , if they dont just put it in their food container , repeat this until they eventually come to you and try not to make their favourite food a part of their regular diet so you can use it as a treat.
Last edited by chuckles on Fri May 18, 2012 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
mattcoffs

Post by mattcoffs »

Food is definitely your friend!

Work out what their favourites are offer them from your hand. Make sure your movements are slow and calm.
Flowergirl

Post by Flowergirl »

Thank you all for your advices, I will def try fruits now because I was giving them veggies and they wouldnt take them just like my two kids looool :P... I'll keep you posted :)

Glen
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Veges are good as part of their everyday diet but fruit is good for treats. Good luck!

Ellie.
Charliee

Post by Charliee »

Welcome!
.Welcome To The Forum.