1st time IRN owner- need help plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moderator: Mods

venetia88

1st time IRN owner- need help plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by venetia88 »

Morning everyone,

I've had Tiko for about 4 days now.............. He gets alot of attention from myself and my finace but Tiko still seems to not settle with us! Tiko allows us to come up to his cage but doesn't like it at all when our hands come near him or the cage, we feel like he has been handled very roughly in the past and now tiko thinks we are going to do the same!

Tiko also goes 'crazy' every now and then in his cage.... he bites his cage and opens his doors himself??? how do i tame him coz i'm scared he gets out because he can open his own cage?????

Pls help! :!:
jmmercer

Re: 1st time IRN owner- need help plz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by jmmercer »

I've been doing a lot of research lately and recently came across this site. My ringneck arrives from my breeder on the 16th of May, so I'm trying to get up to speed. =) I've been Googling like crazy and also asking my breeder a ton of questions. Just type in "taming indian ringneck". I got a ton of results. Good luck!

jmmercer

Post by jmmercer »

I'm sure there are some great people on this site that can help you, too. Do not lose hope! :)

chuckles

Post by chuckles »

venetia88 wrote:Morning everyone,

I've had Tiko for about 4 days now.............. He gets alot of attention from myself and my finace but Tiko still seems to not settle with us! Tiko allows us to come up to his cage but doesn't like it at all when our hands come near him or the cage, we feel like he has been handled very roughly in the past and now tiko thinks we are going to do the same!

Tiko also goes 'crazy' every now and then in his cage.... he bites his cage and opens his doors himself??? how do i tame him coz i'm scared he gets out because he can open his own cage?????

Pls help! :!:
well when i first got my bird he was also jumping all over the cage when i approach him or get my hand in his cage , it took him like a week or so to calm down even though he occasionally jump around to play . also regarding your bird trying to open his cage , just use those flexible bending stripes of plastic used to seal bread bags on his cage doors to lock them.
Sweetedge

Post by Sweetedge »

Hi :) Congrats on your new little feathered baby :)

Was he hand tamed? Sullie my IRN wasn't and it took him a long time to stop going completely and utterly mad when we walked near his cage - we would sit with him everyday and bring his cage into another room with us if we were in there for a while and eventually he did calm down. Once he calmed down we let him out in his bedroom and we then had to get him not to be afraid of hands - and he's getting there now.

One thing I have learnt is that it just takes a lot of time and patience with these birds - they are very clever and he just needs to get know you both better probably - he'll get there eventually :) It may take a good few weeks before he settles in completely but stick with him :)

Good Luck and I love his name x

Trace & Sullie x
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Sweetedge wrote:One thing I have learnt is that it just takes a lot of time and patience with these birds - they are very clever and he just needs to get know you both better probably - he'll get there eventually :) It may take a good few weeks before he settles in completely but stick with him :)
Agreed. In my experience it takes kindness, time, patience and a bit of smarts. Even though my two were handraised, it surprised me how long it has taken to build a bond... and I think over time it will keep getting stronger.

Ellie.
BirdCompanion

Post by BirdCompanion »

ellieelectrons wrote:
Sweetedge wrote:One thing I have learnt is that it just takes a lot of time and patience with these birds - they are very clever and he just needs to get know you both better probably - he'll get there eventually :) It may take a good few weeks before he settles in completely but stick with him :)
Agreed. In my experience it takes kindness, time, patience and a bit of smarts. Even though my two were handraised, it surprised me how long it has taken to build a bond... and I think over time it will keep getting stronger.

Ellie.
I agree, too. Based on my very limited experience with ringnecks - 2 weeks! - it really takes time for them to settle in. I have extensive experience with other types of birds, but my 2 babies are my first IRN's.

Even though my first one came to me at 3 weeks old, she cried for a week before she settled in. And my other one has been with me for a week (they're the same age) and it wasn't until today that he stopped sobbing like his heart was broken. I had brought him down to the bird dealer yesterday so he could see the sobbing, but the baby cheered up!! He heard familiar sounds in the dealer's store and perked right up.

Babies as young as mine normally don't have a problem settling in, but the ringnecks did. I think that speaks volumes about how sensitive and smart they are.
Chicklet

Post by Chicklet »

I am currently hand feeding a baby IRN who is very tame and sweet...but even Rikku (the baby) tries to get out of the container we are using until we move to the cage. I went to get Rikku for feeding time and she/he was sitting on top of the receiving blanket covering the bin. I leave a small section uncovered for better air circulation and the little bugger climbed up on the snuggle toy and pulled herself/himself up onto the blanket, lol. I think IRNs are little escape artists. :)