giving up on my irn

Moderator: Mods

chuckles

giving up on my irn

Post by chuckles »

i brought my irn " it might be African ring neck as it have a blackish red beak" like 13th days ago but to this day he wont make a single sound , he stand on my hand to eat apple , i can rub him everywhere on his body " most of my family can do that even though i look after him mainly" , he makes angry screaming sound sometimes when i try to catch him when he is out of the cage , and he made a pain sound when his wing got caught once between his cage bars , but other than that , he doesn't make a single sound . when i originally bought my bird the guy lied to me saying he is 6 month old , later on i found that he is much older cuz he already have a black ring under his lower beak , so i started to think maybe it is very old and his owner was trying to get rid of it . im thinking of going back to him and scold him for scamming me and try to find another young one?
Sixty Fiver

Re: giving up on my irn

Post by Sixty Fiver »

It sounds like you have a rather wonderful, albeit quiet bird and cannot see why you would trade a bird with what sounds like a wonderful disposition for one that might not be so good.
chuckles

Post by chuckles »

is it normal for a parrot not to make any kind of sound for thirteen days??? i dont even want it to talk , just make any sounds . also he is definitely not afraid of me cuz i can touch him anywhere on his body without a problem. could it be mute?
Sixty Fiver

Post by Sixty Fiver »

Maybe he is just getting settled in and has nothing to say yet, have seen many new arrivals at our shop be very quiet until they feel comfortable and then the noise never ceases. If he is making distress calls he is not mute and maybe is just a little shy.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I agree. Sounds like you have a bird with a wonderful temperament.

Ellie.
mattcoffs

Post by mattcoffs »

Sounds like you have the kind of bird most here would like.
Sorry, but you're giving up on it because it's quiet? You've had it a fortnight - he's not even settled in yet!
Maybe a parrot isn't the ideal pet for you????
chuckles

Post by chuckles »

i really wouldn't complain if he made a sound every once and a while , but he don't make any kind of sound at all , i played so many videos with irn making sounds in-front of him but it didn't work . btw do irn need more than fifteen days to settle in? he eats apples off my hand and i can rub him anywhere on his body , doesn't that show that he is settled in?
Sweetedge

Post by Sweetedge »

I think it takes a lot longer than 2 weeks for any bird to really settle in (Obviously does depend on the bird itself)

When we got Sullie, it took him well over a month to settle in and longer to make any sounds at all, he was just silent for well over a month, maybe two - Your IRN sounds like a lovely little bird with a lovely temperament and I certainly wouldn't give up on him cause he's quiet x

Good Luck x
chuckles

Post by chuckles »

Sweetedge wrote:I think it takes a lot longer than 2 weeks for any bird to really settle in (Obviously does depend on the bird itself)

When we got Sullie, it took him well over a month to settle in and longer to make any sounds at all, he was just silent for well over a month, maybe two - Your IRN sounds like a lovely little bird with a lovely temperament and I certainly wouldn't give up on him cause he's quiet x

Good Luck x
ah it took your bird more than a month to make sound . great that mean there is still hope :)
sunfire249

Post by sunfire249 »

To be honest, I think you bought that IRN for all the wrong reasons. There are plenty of IRNs that won't make a sound for the entire duration of their life, simply because they don't want to, or are too shy. From when you posted this post, it's hardly been 2 weeks and you're demanding a lot from your IRN. If you can't accept the fact that your IRN might not talk or make chirpy sounds, I suggest you give it to someone who will care for them, or return them to the breeder.

And in terms of the ring -- the breeder may not be wrong. There are a good portion of IRNs who can develop a ring quite early in their juvenile years, it does NOT necessarily have to be 1 year old or greater.
chuckles

Post by chuckles »

finally my bird made some sounds after i put a mirror infront of him , it was so sweet to hear him for the first time , he made some low chirps and sounds , i hope this technique encourage him to make sounds without seeing his twin in the mirror . btw do my arn realize that this is his reflection or he thinks this is another bird , in another word is he self aware ? also does making sounds to the mirror means he is lonely and sad?
Charliee

Post by Charliee »

Wow! Your bird sounds amazing!

Nothing wrong with an older bird, we got Charliee when he was 2 years old and for one whole month it was impossible to touch him without ripping your flesh off!

But now we have him trained!

Lucky you don't have a IRN that doesn't make a sound ;)
.Welcome To The Forum.