Female behaviour problem

Moderator: Mods

Tristessa

Female behaviour problem

Post by Tristessa »

Hello :)

I have a female indian ringneck parrot,she is about 1,5 years and we are together for 1 year.
She was a very good girl all this time but the last 2 months she transformed into a beast,without any obvious reason..
She is out control. She screams very loud all the time and flying arround the house like a crazy!
I used to keep her out of the cage,playing with her etc.. but now she is all the time in "prison",because I can't control her and my boyfriend tells me all the time "to get rid of that bird". :( please help! :(
ellieelectrons

Re: Female behaviour problem

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Tristessa

If it's something you would ethically consider, I would recommend you clip your bird's wings. These sorts of behaviours tend to minimise once their wings have been clipped. My birds are 2 & 3 years old and I've consistently had their wings clipped each season. This year, I've let them grow out and their behaviour overall has been pretty good so I think we will be able to keep their wings unclipped now (which makes me really happy).... so if you choose to clip your bird's wings, just keep in mind they will grow back and you can let them grow out again next season.

Ellie.
Tristessa

Post by Tristessa »

ellieelectrons wrote:Hi Tristessa

If it's something you would ethically consider, I would recommend you clip your bird's wings. These sorts of behaviours tend to minimise once their wings have been clipped. My birds are 2 & 3 years old and I've consistently had their wings clipped each season. This year, I've let them grow out and their behaviour overall has been pretty good so I think we will be able to keep their wings unclipped now (which makes me really happy).... so if you choose to clip your bird's wings, just keep in mind they will grow back and you can let them grow out again next season.

Ellie.
Thanks very mych for your reply! So this is a normal behaviour,right? I'll go to the vet with my parrot and I'll tell him to clip her wings.. Thanks again and sorry for my bad english :P
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Yes, I have had similar experiences with my female and I've read of others who have had similar experiences too. However, not everyone has those problems. It's a combination of the bird's personality and the way you and your household interact with your bird.

... and no need to apologise for your English at all! I didn't have any problems reading your posts.

Ellie.
Tristessa

Post by Tristessa »

ellieelectrons wrote:Yes, I have had similar experiences with my female and I've read of others who have had similar experiences too. However, not everyone has those problems. It's a combination of the bird's personality and the way you and your household interact with your bird.

... and no need to apologise for your English at all! I didn't have any problems reading your posts.

Ellie.

I know some people who have indian ringnecks and I talked to them,I talked to a pet shop owner too and I searched in the internet about this and all the people told me that this is a female classic behaviour,they told me that females are very agressive and they behave like bitchies,lol and many of them told me as an advise to give her away to another person and take a male bird..

But I don't think this is right,just before 2 months we didn't had any problem,the bird was very calm. And I don't think that there are species that have so many diferences on behaviour between male and female.. Could it possible???
Spring is their breeding season so maybe her ensticts are so strong that she can't control them.. This is a possible excuse for this major change... And I prefer your solution-to clip her wings- ...not to give her away as they told me! :P

I hope that this is not a permanent situation....
rovstr

Post by rovstr »

I don't advise clipping it's wings. It's the easier way out in some cases but I don't like it.

Take a look at trainedparrot
It's got really good info for free that you would be paying for outside. I used to have ringnecks with the females exhibiting the same behavior. I just wish I had that this info earlier. All the best.