Questions...

Moderator: Mods

Shardia

Questions...

Post by Shardia »

I have a 9month old yellow male IRN I have a few questions, When will he get his ring around his neck and what colour will it be? Also he's been spending hours at the bottom of his cage shredding newspaper, and now hes carrying it up to his pertch (making alot of a mess) Is this normal? And do they need there claws clipping, because mine have grown quite alot, and he came with a clip round his leg, it doesn't seem to bother him, but is this something that will need removing in the future? We also have his cage in the livingroom where we spend alot of our time with the tv on ect.. will this encourage him to talk? As he does make LOADS of noices especially in the morning! :lol:
taywer321

Re: Questions...

Post by taywer321 »

Has your bird been DNA sexed male? The ring will appear around 2 years of age, I believe. Mine is 10 months old and starting to get darker flecks underneath his chin. The ring for your lutino will be a rosy pinkish color.. you can Google images of what he may look like with his ring or visit the photo forum where there are pictures of other member's lutinos.
My boy needs his nails trimmed here and there just because he is on my finger a lot and my shoulder which he loves but his nails get so sharp they cut me. I take him to an avian vet nearby. Only take him to a vet that specializes in birds.
I asked my vet about the leg band because mine has one too and he said they can be removed if they appear to be causing any kind of discomfort but it shouldn't bother him. He should be very used to it since it was put on after he hatched. Also the band serves as an identification should he ever escape and become captured and taken to a shelter. It will help if you need to make fliers to find him. I will never take it off my bird.
For talking, take time each day to play with your bird and get him engaged. Make it fun and interesting.. try playing games like peekaboo. I did this and within no time my boy was hiding his head and popping up saying peekaboo! Spend the time talking to him every day and repeating things you want him to learn. Be enthusiastic. I believe that parrots will learn better repeating something they find interesting. Some people believe parrots learn to talk well from the tv or a learning cd but I believe they learn better from YOU!
Also, my bird loves watching other talking IRN's on youtube. Like Marnie and Louie.. try that! He could learn from them.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

My yellow IRN has just turned 2 & his ring is coming through now. When I first noticed it, I could see some red under his feathers & for an instant I got worried thinking he was bleeding - but it was just his big boy feathers coming through!

I only had my birds nails clipped once & I've sort of vowed not to do I again (although a lot do do it). When Janey had hers done, she couldn't grip her tree branches properly & she fell off the tree... So now I try to keep it under control by giving tem lots of natural branches to perch on, minimizing rope perches and giving them some cement perch swings. It works reasonably well. I felt so awful when she fell off her tree that I can't bear the thought of trimming their nails again (note: it wasn't an avian vet who trimmed her nails but it was someone who owns lots of birds).

Like tawyer, I find the birds learn phrases they have an emotional attachment to. Ours say, "janey", "what ya doing'", "gimme a kiss" (followed by a craned neck & a lip smacking sound), "another one?", "c'mon", me laughing, "beautiful, beautiful, beautiful bird" (whenever we take janey away eg. On holidays, to te vet, she launches into "beautiful, beautiful" when we walk through the door). They have a contextual understanding of language & can also respond to cues. Eg. When hubby was trying to teach janey, "what ya doin", he'd first say, "hey janey" to get her attention. Now, that's the cue For either our birds to say, "what ya doin".

Shredding things & chewing things up is good fun for birds. I suggest you investigate foraging & other forms of enrichment for your bird too.

Good luck & best wishes.

Ellie.
Shardia

Post by Shardia »

Thanks for getting back to me :) your infomation was very helpfull! Yes i was getting worried about his claws as they are quite long, i was going to get them cut but there isn't any vets around me that deal with birds (unless i travel and i don't know what he'd be like in a car) so he should be ok if i leave him. Erm im not sure if he's been DNA tested male, as the breeder we got him of wasn't very nice and was quite rude when delivering him late at night, in the rain and in a very noicey car with all his mates, what a disgrace!!! he sounded lovely on the phone but when he arived it was a diffrent story didn't really tell us much about him just that hes a male, and now i'm thinking is he? We probally shouldn't of accepted the bird, but we wanted to give it a lovely home, and now im so glad we did :D When did your IRN start talking? It's a shame i can't like upload him making the noices he does then maybe someone could say ''oh yes that's what my bird did before he starting talking'' haha. Yes i do watch IRN talking on youtube, he sometimes makes loads of noices at the laptop and tilts his head :lol: oh yes and sometimes when i talk to him his eyes go VERY small and then BIG, what does that mean? He can sometimes do it when he's angry with his toys in his cage. I used to let him out of his cage when i clean him, but if you read my other post i put on here you'll see why i don't anymore. He doesn't really like us, he comes to us if we stand by the cage and he makes LOADS of noices to us. But he doesn't like it when we try to stroke him through the cage his eyes go really small and he makes a weird noice, like he's not happy! And everytime i try to put my hand into his cage to get his food/water out to change it he charges at me so i pull away FAST incase he trys to bite me (which im sure he would) It's such a shame because i'd love to let him out of his cage again, and for him to come to us and sit on my shoulder and be FRIENDLEY :) Has anybody got any tips or things i can try for him to come to me and be more tame? I was thinking of putting a glove on and then putting fruit on it so he will come it me. let me know. Thanks :)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi

It's rare that a bird's claws will get too long for their own well-being. Generally, people get them clipped because the claws are scratching them when they handle the bird.... so unless they are excessively long, I wouldn't worry about it... However, you should get safe natural branches for your bird to perch on in the cage.

There are lots of things you can do to get your bird tamer... it all involves patience and celebrating small progress. The fact that your bird comes closer to you when you come to the cage and talk to it is progress... so be proud of that... There are lots of ideas for getting a tamer bird on these forums. I suggest you do a search. I will try to write more when I get home late tonight or early tomorrow. Your bird may never be _as_ tame as you'd like (or it may become as tame as you would like, you never know), but it can always improve.... Taming a bird is a series of baby, baby steps and building trust over time. These birds can live up to 30 years in captivity, so you've got plenty of time to build that trust!

Ellie.
Shardia

Post by Shardia »

Thats ok then :) Do you know where i can get them natural branches from? He has a swing which is made from a natural branch, but i haven't seen anymore anywhere eles. Yes i've looked at some forums on here, but not sure if it would work, as i am scared of him and shouldn't be beacuse he can probally sence that like dogs do. I was thinking as i said before putting a glove (because he might bite me) on and putting a peace of his fav fruit on it and see if he comes to me, do you think that would be ok? or have you got any other tips for me? The more info the best i want to try everything :) Also he loves fruit such as well EVERYTHING haha. What eles could i feed him for his goodies? Thanks
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

We take our natural branches from a tree in our yard although I have also bought some smaller wood perches and swings from the pet store. Bottlebrush is good for them... but there are a lot of others that are fine too. There is a thread on this board that talks about which trees are poisonous.

You can certainly try a glove - mine are petrified by gloves but you could persevere and see how it goes. I also have a plastic spoon that I sometimes put treats on - it's a baby spoon - I got 3 for about $2 at the supermarket. One of our birds is prone to snatching food from our hands so when I think she's a bit too worked up, I use the plastic spoon. However, they will also be scared of the spoon at first too, so you have to introduce it really slowly and gently. If you put something on it they love to eat and hold it where they can see it, let them edge toward you. If they make any progress at all, even if they don't make it all the way, say "good bird" or whatever phrase you want to use as a reinforcer and put the food in their normal food bowl (make sure they see you do it). ... eventually, you make them come closer and closer before you put it in the food bowl... with the ultimate aim being to have the bird take it from the spoon.

Good luck & best wishes.

Ellie.
Shardia

Post by Shardia »

Next time im at the petshop i'll see if i can buy some for him, what's Bottlebrush is it a type of tree? Yes i will try a glove then, i used to put my hand right into the cage and he used to come right up to me and eat the treat out of my hand, he did that a few times then he just started not to eat the treat he just wanted to bite my fingers, that's why im going to start to wear a glove! Also do you know what it means when your birds eyes go BIG and then SMALL? He sometimes does it when im talking to him and also when he get angry with his toys.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Bottlebrush is a type of tree... there are lots of trees out there though... it's a good one because it has an outer layer of bark that the bird can have fun stripping off and a harder layer in the middle that they can't bite through.

You are better to cut off a small branch of a real tree (so long as it's non poisonous) than buying stuff from the store if you can... We are manually challenged and find it quite difficult but we've managed to do it a couple of times. If you don't have a tree you could use perhaps someone you know does? Our pet stores here don't sell long branch perches.

Regarding the glove, just make sure he isn't completely freaked out by it. You will need to introduce it slowly I think and it might help to place it near his cage for a bit so that he can see it.

Regarding the biting behaviour, does your bird have a lot of foraging opportunities? I found this almost eradicated that type of behaviour with my guys.... not completely but now it's quite rare. Here are a couple of foraging links:
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 01&p=69400
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =4&t=13466
http://www.parrotenrichment.com/ - this site has some free ebooks to download

When the eyes go big and small is what is called pinning. They do it when they are angry and when they are excited. It's a good gauge of the current state of mind of your bird.

Ellie.
Shardia

Post by Shardia »

Sounds good, i bet he'd love that! I live in the UK, in a Countryside there are quite a lot of trees i will just have to find out which ones are ok for my bird. The place i got his toys from ect.. I think they do sell natural branches there i'll have to look into it. Yes i will introduce it slowly as i don't want him to get scared or become a fear of it, yes he does forage an awfull not, in his bowl and at the bottom of his cage (spends most his time down there :lol:) So i don't need to go on the links, but i'll go on and have a look anyway :)

Thanks for all your help!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

That's good that your pet store sells natural branch perches. Ours don't and I wish they did.

Ellie.
Sixty Fiver

Post by Sixty Fiver »

I have two IRN's that I adopted as mature birds who are friendly and sociable but do not like to be touched although this is improving and also volunteer at a local shop with 9 other babies of various species that now includes a pair of baby Alexandrines, two Conures, a Plum Headed Parakeet, a Kakariki, a new Cockatiel, a Sun Conure, and a Senegal.

None of the babies at the shop are older than a year.

One of the things I found works very well with my own birds and the babies is when we have a daily misting with warm water which is followed up with some time being gently held in a towel to allow them to dry and stay warm... nearly all of them seem to enjoy the misting and towel time and will lie there quite happily although they are always free to climb out.

There are several birds that would come to your hand but would not allow any touch that now seem to love the towel time and will allow me to preen and groom them and give beak rubs and my Ringnecks have responded in the same way.

My female Ringneck loves her daily misting and will allow be to rub her back and give her scritches while she gets her shower and then allows me to preen her neck and rub her beak when she is in the towel.

Moving past that... the birds that are the most comfortable with the towel time also allow me to hold them when they are out of the towel and have grown comfortable with being held ever so gently... I never restrain them when we are playing "who's got your belly".

As they accept the preening within the towel they are also more receptive to being groomed and preened when they are free in the hand or perching as they have learned this is pretty awesome.

This also gets them comfortable with getting little hugs where you gently hold them to your body and quite often they will stay there and enjoy some scritches which is important if you ever have to deal with pin feathers.

Without flock mates that would do this they sometimes need some help and by being careful and gentle you can help them enjoy the preening and scritches even more once you have gained their trust and been accepted as one of the flock.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi SF

Just have a question about the toweling... I may have left it too late to get my birds used to toweling easily... but do you think one of the reasons your guys like the towel is because you live in a colder climate? Maybe I should wait until Winter to try (not that it ever gets really cold here)?

I take my two into the shower with me just about every day. They have their own perches in there and if they want to get wet, they step up on my hand and I let them get misted by the water. Charlie likes to stand directly under the shower jets whilst Janey likes to stay up my arm and just get wet from the spray.

Ellie.
Sixty Fiver

Post by Sixty Fiver »

ellieelectrons wrote:Hi SF

Just have a question about the toweling... I may have left it too late to get my birds used to toweling easily... but do you think one of the reasons your guys like the towel is because you live in a colder climate? Maybe I should wait until Winter to try (not that it ever gets really cold here)?

I take my two into the shower with me just about every day. They have their own perches in there and if they want to get wet, they step up on my hand and I let them get misted by the water. Charlie likes to stand directly under the shower jets whilst Janey likes to stay up my arm and just get wet from the spray.

Ellie.
My birds are 5 and 9 and think the only time they ever saw the towel was when they were being bad and bitey or having things like wing clippings done... I keep the house at 72-74 degrees (more for them than me).

I thought it would take much longer for them to get used to this but they both seemed to be very comfortable with it from the start, Amore was toweled when she got her wings clipped, mostly to cover her head and prevent her from being too panicked and to make it harder to acquire targets, and she was very calm during this.

This is when the lights went on and I thought I should try this after their shower.

Amore does not mind being picked up... if she lands on the floor I scoop her up into my hands (gently) as even though she steps up readily it gives me an opportunity to get her used to some gentle touching and she does not bite or nip during this.

If they were freaking out when I did this I would not do it... Amore also likes to help me do laundry and will crawl under towels and clothes and sometimes not want to come out.

Of the babies I work with at the shop, the Conures seem to like the misting more than anything else and will do their happy dance during this if I stop which is a sign for "more" and a sign they are enjoying this.

I do this more to give us a time for some closer contact and to get the birds used to scritches and can see they are getting less head shy now that they are more used to me giving them little rub downs after their shower.

Their former mistress has been amazed that they have taken to this so well... she never spent much time working on this aspect as I believe she was told by the breeder that they would not like to be touched as much as other birds or that it might send the wrong message.

They are still new here and like everyone else it is always a series of baby steps but we are progressing well... the long term goal is to get Lucce comfortable enough with being touched that they might get comfortable enough to try a harness so I can take them on summer adventures.

I will be starting harness training with Toulouse (the Senegal) as she is only 10 months old and is extremely comfortable with being touched, turned, and even lets me run my fingers under her wings so she is ready to try the harness.