10 month old IRN

Moderator: Mods

Laura83

10 month old IRN

Post by Laura83 »

Hi I got my male irn a week ago. He's not tame and is scared when we go near him. I've been doing all the things that I've read from here to do but not making much progress. He will stay still now when I go to his cage but if I put my hand in he flys everywhere around and avoids my hand. What else can I do I really want him to feels safe around me. Also will he still learn to talk if he's not tamed? Thanks in advance.
taywer321

Re: 10 month old IRN

Post by taywer321 »

Is he clipped? If not it would be a good idea for taming to clip his wings so he can't fly away from you, or panic and fly into things and injure himself. And yes he can still learn how to talk at 10 months old.. Some don't start talking until a year old.. it depends on how much you work with him. I talked to mine every day for 3 months and before I heard him say his first words:) He was 6 months old. Good luck!
Laura83

Post by Laura83 »

Thanks for your reply. We had his wings clipped last night but he is still trying to get away from us. I will continue to get him out every day and work with taming him but I just hope I don't scare him rather than tame him. I talk to him most of the day, repeating hello over and over and leave a recording of me saying hello for 10 mins on each night when I've gone to bed lol. I don't mind if he never talks because he is still beautiful so talking is just a bonus really. I hope I can tame him x
jhebert9

Post by jhebert9 »

I had a 1 year old that I couldn't ever tame :[ . But I did find a local breeder who was willing to trade her for 2 babies that I will hand feed myself, so they will be very tame. I have heard success stories about taming them, I just wasn't one of them.
Darwin, Turquoise Chick
taywer321

Post by taywer321 »

Time will tell.. make the effort every day and you will see improvements.
Laura83

Post by Laura83 »

Jherbert9 did your untame irn talk? I managed to get him to sit on my hand for a few seconds last night but only because he had no where else to step onto apart from my hand and he was off within seconds. I will keep trying though. x
taywer321

Post by taywer321 »

Make sure your movements toward him are slow.. birds are a prey species and even a tame bird will get spooked by a hand coming at them too quickly..
joejo85

Post by joejo85 »

A week isn't enough time for any bird to feel safe let the bird see whats going on in the house & let him get use to it before trying to tame
Sixty Fiver

Post by Sixty Fiver »

It seems that many people expect their bird to take to them immediately but it takes patience and time to develop a relationship and trust between you and your new companion.

The bird that loves me most in this world is a young Senegal parrot I work with at the shop... she is getting better with strangers but when I am around there is only one person she wants to be with and every one else gets rejected.

When I met her I spent nearly a month coming by and talking to her with my hand placed close to her perch but did not intrude... she was not an aggressive bird... just young and shy. I let her come to me at her own pace.

She started taking treats from my hand and then accepted a little scritching and after that it has been awesome... she has never bitten me, rarely has a harsh word for me, and has started working on talking to me.

My IRN's came to me at 5 and 9 years old and came from a good home but were not handled as much as I would like... they took to me right away but we are still working on developing higher levels of trust which is harder with mature birds. It gets better every day and it is my 9 year olf female that needs the most social time.

The staff at the shop call me the bird whisperer... I always say they are no mean birds but that too often we push things too fast and don't allow them the time to get used to us.

If your bird is flying well and has developed good coordination then it would be a good time to look at clipping his/her wings as at 10 months he is at a very formative stage and this is when you want to be able to to teach him to step up and down, to take food, and learn that he does not have to fear you but rather... you are his his best flock mate.