Is he unhappy???

Moderator: Mods

tlouiselle

Is he unhappy???

Post by tlouiselle »

Sky is 7 months old now. I have had him since he was 4 weeks and I hand raised him. He definately has mood swings like crazy. He used to follow me all around the house and was not scared of ANYTHING. He bosses around the dogs, cat, and our eclectus. He is out of his cage all day every day. I work from home and am ALWAYS interacting with him throughout the day. He loves to sit in the sun on the lanai with the eclectus. They have run of the entire enclosure with food, toys, stands, rope nets...SPOILED. every evening I lay on the bed and throw tons of toys down and he runs all over and plays with the toys. If he is chewing something he likes to come over to sit on me while he chews his toy.

I NEVER had a hard time picking him up. He was a brat but always wanted to be with me. If I set my hand down and asked him to step up he would run over and do it. Lately he wants NOTHING to do with humans. He runs and does everything he can do to get away. He is angry, bites, and if he is not mean he launches himself off of my shoulder to get down. If he does sit on me it is because he "has" to but doesn't want to. He attacks my finger when I put him to bed in the evening too.

I have read about the bluffing stage. I just don't know if that is what this is. He has been biting and bratty for quite a while now (which I assumed was bluffing) but this behavior is different from how he has been. Could he be unhappy with this life? Would he be happier with someone who has a huge enclosure where he would not have to be handeled? He doesn't like to sit in his cage, but he isn't liking people anymore either :-( I am so sad. He was so comical and is so beautiful. I love him to death but am worried he will not ever be a happy "people" bird. It is like he changed overnight.
ellieelectrons

Re: Is he unhappy???

Post by ellieelectrons »

Call it bluffing. I think he's essentially trying to assert his adulthood. With care, persistence, lots of positive reinforcement, he should come round.

Ellie.
tlouiselle

Post by tlouiselle »

I sure hope so. He will call to me or our eclectus if he is not included in whatever is going on. At what age are they usually done with bluffing?
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

ive had the same thing happen and has been going on for nearly 3 weeks now. has been very bratty and avoiding us completely. not really aggressive but definately a complete overnight change in behaviour (though salvador is a year old now).

i never got a reply when i pitched it out to everyone, but nothing else seems to explain the behaviour so i assume it must be. unfortunately its coincided with a heavy molt and his wings have now grown back and he has full-flight capabilities. I dont want to clip his wings but if this behaviour doesnt settle down, i might have to :( hes been dangerously unpredictable. im hoping the molt and behaviour may also have something to do with a kick of hormones (makes sense!) and the behaviour will settle down.

for both our sakes, i hope it is bluffing and im sure youre being a great parent :D
tlouiselle

Post by tlouiselle »

If it so frustrating because I keep questining if I did anything to cause it. He has been a little bratty since 4 month old but still wanted to be with us. He would try to intimidate all males that held him. When a male was holding him he would pin his eyes, fluff his head, and start these loud whistle/screams. I had everyone ignore it and keep holding him until he stopped. Then I would let them put him down. That has stopped but a whole new bratty behavior has emerged. He does have his moments though when he will give in to his rage and will rub his face on my clothes or give in to my head scratches like he used to. I keep hoping my sweet bird is in there somewhere :-(

I have him fully clipped right now because after he learned to fly it was too dangerous for him. I was scared he would get hurt. I have been hoping I could let his wings grow out after this and if anything just partially clip him. This is what I did with my eclectus and it works GREAT. He can still fly but not as far or as fast. I wanted to do this with Sky too but I won't be able to if he is always trying to get away from me :-(
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

well the fact that someone else is having the exact same results is somewhat relieving :oops: though not really for the right reasons. I can completely relate to what youre saying and feel the same way. Ive been questioning myself aswell, but really im clutching at straws to come up with a 'bad parenting' answer.
I was prepared for bluffing with him getting aggressive and bitey, but not the constant fleeing my company. Maybe if he was clipped, hed be biting me cause he wouldnt be able to fly away (makes sense :wink: )

fingers crossed for both of us.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

From my limited experience with 2 birds, their personality does change as they mature but with persistence, care & time, the relationship will improve although it will probably not be the same as when they were a baby. I found positive reinforcement training makes a difference to the relationship.

Best wishes.

Ellie.
adreane

Post by adreane »

Sounds almost exactly what I am going through with 9 month old Turkey.