Tiki's first training session

Moderator: Mods

TaraJ

Tiki's first training session

Post by TaraJ »

Well today Tiki had his first official training session....At first he wasnt really interested in what was happening...I think because it was a new room he was in and a few noises outside(wild birds and our dogs making noise) and i was beginning to think i was wasting my time but then all of sudden he thought "Hang on!! if i turn around you are going to give me what is in your hand"....by the end he was starting to turn around with just my hand doing circles and not just following the food....Kept it short so he didnt get bored.....Proud of my little fella and cant wait till next time we try.....Before hand i took his food out of cage because he such a little pig and by the first 30 mins to an hour without food he was starting to go mental looking for it lol
jimmyjack

Re: Tiki's first training session

Post by jimmyjack »

thats great progress! one training session! he'll be pirouetting in no time to get those treats :lol:

its best not to take food off them, they have a naturally very fast metabolism eat constantly and poop just the same. It can cause considerable physiological stress if theyre kept from eating. If you're trying to entice him to the treats and worried he'll not be interested cause he's already been eating in his cage, then just remove the favourite food type, but atleast leave something for them to eat (eg, a piece of carrot, chickory leaf, etc). They'll still be more enticed to the treat, but no chance of any health drama :)
TaraJ

Post by TaraJ »

Well had another session yesterday afternoon and then this morning also.....this morning i didnt even have to show him the food in my hand to get him to turn around and towards the end he would turn around most times with just me asking him to turn around....Im so happy with him 8) :lol:
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Well done Tara. Great job!

Ellie.
TaraJ

Post by TaraJ »

Oh and Ellie this afternoon had another session and he was so much better!!! dont have to show food at all now and mostly just turns around with me just asking him too....he even did it a few times without me asking but of course i couldnt reward him for that lol...But he was sooooo cute...I am so proud of the litle guy right now...Is such a fast learner....Cant wait to start teaching him more...Will take my time tho so i dont overwhelm him tho :D
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

TaraJ wrote:he even did it a few times without me asking but of course i couldnt reward him for that lol...
Recently Janey has taken to doing a 360 around the perch (vertical->upside down -> back up to vertical again) without me asking & I must confess to rewarding it without giving her a queue. She's just tooooo cute!

Tara - do you know if you want to harness train Tiki? If you do you need to start as young as possible. I started too late with my guys.

Congrats on your training!

Ellie.
TaraJ

Post by TaraJ »

Hey there Ellie...Tiki is going so well on this trick....has basically mastered it in 2 days....does it now with me just asking him to....Think he is actually getting a bit bored with it hey....Going to have to find something new....My partner actually said to me yesterday or today that should get a harness for him....Dunno how he would go because he still not too keen on being touched that much....but would be so good to be able to take him outside and stuff...i would hve to look that one up because i have no idea where to even start on harness training :?
TaraJ

Post by TaraJ »

haha and that is so cool with your one doing 360's :lol: should get a video of that...would love to see that :lol:
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

The experts I've spoken to recommend the aviator harness. It comes with a DVD on how to train your bird to use it. I haven't been successful with it myself. I wish I'd started earlier. I would like to be able to take my guys outside but after a couple of close calls, even with wings clipped, I won't do it without a harness. So unfortunately my guys are stuck inside for now anyway. I just thought I'd mention it because it's much easier to do when they are young.

Ellie.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I think the next trick I taught janey was the retrieve. I'd get her to pick up a soft drink bottle lid & put it in a coop cup bowl that I was holding. It was hard going but a good trick to learn. You start by giving her the lid & holding the bowl so it's hard for her not to put it in the bowl. You give her the "good bird" signal that you use & then follow up with a reward. As she masters that you move the bowl further away & eventually you make her go get the lid from somewhere else rather than you giving it to her.

With Charlie, the second trick he learn was the wave. The technique i used here was to wait for him to move his foot slightly. I'd then say "wave" accompanied by my hand signal, followed by "good bird" & a reward. It can be a little frustrating but eventually they figure it out I've seen others teach this behavior by getting them to step up & moving their hand away as soon as they lift their first foot. That didn't work for me because it confused them & once poor Charlie almost fell off his perch, so I changed my approach.

Happy trainng!

Ellie.
TaraJ

Post by TaraJ »

Ahhh the wave might be the next one for Tiki as he puts his foot up a bit too...or possibly the retrieve one....lol....thinking seriously about the harness hey because even tho we clipped his wings he can still fly...i really wouldnt want to lose him so i dont even think about taking him outside at moment...maybe i have left it too late also...wouldnt be able to get one for few weeks anyhow as no where near me sells them unless get a chance to go to coffs harbour or something...bigger town that sells more...i dont even have a petshop where i live lol
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

When Janey was little, we decided to attempt a car ride with her loose. I walked out to the car, she was a little scared so she ran to my shoulder. The sound of opening the car door completely freaked her out so she went for a scared fly. Although her wings were clipped, we have a sloping block of land and as she flew the land was sloping downwards. My hubby took off after her down the very steep incline & she landed in a tree next to our shed. Luckily my husband reached out to her & she stepped up, but I resolved not to take her outside again!

Ellie.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

The Parrot Society shop http://www.parrotsociety.org.au/index.p ... amic&id=69 is usually reasonably priced & they do most of their business over the phone. They used to sell aviator harnesses. I don't know I they still do. Unfortunately they don't have an online store yet.

I hope I'm not sounding pushy. Just do what you feel is right.

Most nonbird people I know think it's weird when I tell them I want to harness train my bird. :)

Ellie.
Last edited by ellieelectrons on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
TaraJ

Post by TaraJ »

hey i dont find you pushy.....i am loving all the advice.....just glad someone is actually answering me...thank you for ll your advice so far Ellie :D
xxleahxx

Post by xxleahxx »

ohhhhh wow tara!!! making so much progress! thats awesome!! my little one wont do anything for food :(
TaraJ

Post by TaraJ »

keep trying Leah....time will come hey....at first i didnt think my guy was going to either but all of a sudden it just happened...Tiki is doing it really well now...even on top of his cage...sees food in hand and just starts turning around as if to say "see how clever i am? now give me that treat!!" :lol: :lol:
xxleahxx

Post by xxleahxx »

nawwww thats so cute!!! well iv moved back in with my parents now :( but my little one seems to like it more here, iv had him in my room tonight and hes just been wandering around but keeps coming back to jump all over me and chat to me lol :)
TaraJ

Post by TaraJ »

awwww too cute....he is starting to bond to you by the sounds of it...Just keep trying to get him to do stuff for food and it will eventually happen....even if you use something that you already feed him with that he really likes....i remember you saying he likes apples so maybe use that....mine wont sit with me for too long...unless i have him on my shoulder but i dont trust him there as he has already nipped my ear about a week ago and drew blood....but is starting to like being with me more now i think...yesterday actually flew off cage onto me for first time and then this afternoon flew round loungeroom and then onto me..can still fly even though wings clipped....going to have to clip couple more feathers im thinking
TaraJ

Post by TaraJ »

also Leah try to start training your guy in a small room where there arent any distractions and on a t stand or something similar.....and try to make sure its at a quiet time of the day....i know when there is too much noise here Tiki doesnt do so well....im trying to get him used to doing it in different parts of the house now and with more distractions.
xxleahxx

Post by xxleahxx »

looooves apples but wont do anything 4 them haha..im going to keep trying though :) i started work at a pet shop today!
TaraJ

Post by TaraJ »

ah cool stuff...would love to work in or own a pet store....i gotta try and get my little guy to start liking to be touched....still bites but i keep ignoring it...is mainly when i get him to step up or try to pat him.i can usually stop him by stroking his beak between my fingers.