My bird hates the cage. Help!

Moderator: Mods

andreeabx

My bird hates the cage. Help!

Post by andreeabx »

Hello!
I have a 5 months old Indian RingNeck.
I have bought him when he was 3 months old, so I have him for 2 months now.
I kept him in the cage a week and a few days before letting him out of the cage, so he can get used to the environment and room.
When he finally got out of the cage, he didn't wanted to go back at all.
I had to catch him a few days so he can get in. Later, I made him go back in the cage using one of his favorite food, but now he doesn't want to go back for nothing in the world.
He was out for a month without even going back for 5 minutes in the cage. Not even for his favorite food... (Corn)
Luckily I'm home all day long, so I could watch him.

Now I'm at my parents house for a week now, and I'm afraid to let him out. There are a lot of plants around, and there are days when I need to leave home, and I'm afraid to let him out alone without anyone to watch him.... And I'm gonna stay here a few months. I can't keep him inside that much...

I want to let him out, because I pity him, and I also know he needs to exercise.
What can I do make him get used to the cage, get inside, and like the cage?
Is the cage too small? 24 x 16 x 35,5 ( L x W x H )?
He has toys in it, food, and everything he loves and likes.

Please help!
Sweetedge

Re: My bird hates the cage. Help!

Post by Sweetedge »

Hi - I feel your pain! I have exactly the same problem at the moment with Sullie!

We let him out everyday in his bedroom at the moment whilst we're taming him - he's fantastic whilst he's out - he actually flies to us now which is fab - BUT - when it comes time for his bed, will he go in? Will he heck lol At first we used to put a pot of his tea in there with all his fresh fruits and veggies - and he would go in every evening like a good boy - suddenly he's worked out that going in for his evening meal means going to bed and he won't go in at all - he's out from sometimes 8\9am till gone 1am the other night and still nothing LOL

In the end my husband has to catch him which he hates doing :( Sullie is fine and after sulking for a few minutes, starts eating his tea - but I would love to know if anyone has any ideas how to help this?

God these little birds are so smart eh? haha

Trace & Sullie xxx
andreeabx

Post by andreeabx »

EXACTLY!

I used to make him come back in the cage, with food, at night.
Now he knows that going back for food, means cage time - so he just doesn't want to!
And I hate catching him. He sometimes flies away because I'm afraid of catching him too hard...It takes me an hour to catch him.
And he gets scared for a moment and mad on me. He just ignores me for the rest of day.

:(
julie

Post by julie »

try turning the lights off and just have the tv on.I just had the thought of oh crap mine are still out and looked around the room to see all 4 have gone back in and i just have to shut their doors. All the good stuff happens out of the cage and they know whats going to happen,I think they are pretty clever to read what we are doing and know to run or go back in.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Can you lure back with a fav food? Janey keeps changing hers. Right now it's the smallest bit off a potato crisp that gets her in there. Previously, it's been a bit of banana. I hand feed her he treat only when she goes back in her cage. She never gets it a other times.

Ellie.