New addition - 11 week old Indian Ringneck

Moderator: Mods

Alicia89

New addition - 11 week old Indian Ringneck

Post by Alicia89 »

Hi everyone,

In the last week I have recently purchased an Indian ringneck from a breeder. He/she is currently 11 weeks old, ever so affectionate and cute! After only having him for a few days he is already stepping up on command and I can pop him on his back and scratch his belly and he just lies there.

I was just wondering at what age do they begin to make noises? I don't meant talking I know that is a little while off yet, but at what age do they begin to make any form of noise? I've never had a bird from such a young age .

He is such a little piggy loves his Vetafarm pellets and fruit! I have named him Dexter, he is blue in coloring, still trying to decide whether I should have him DNA sexed.

Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone :)
evaleen

Re: New addition - 11 week old Indian Ringneck

Post by evaleen »

aaaawwwwww! :D i wish i could get one like that! we dont hav breeders here and the pet stores here are awful...
its adorable! best of luck with it!

i hav a budgie and it just recentl started chirping. i'v had it for 2months. i think its of 3.5months.
dunno why... mayb our one needs some time too.
Eva
jo_jo

Post by jo_jo »

Hi
We recently acquired our new beautiful girl ringneck "bubbles" who is 9weeks old. She has settled in really well in her five days that she has been with us. The last two days she has been chattering away at different times, much to my surprise, fact she is right now. :D
Alicia89

Post by Alicia89 »

I heard a little chirp this afternoon while I was sitting outside on the verandah with him :) but nothing more.... just yet lol
trina.louise

Post by trina.louise »

Hi,

I have just purchased a beautiful little girl (violet colour) about 10 weeks old, her name is Ava :D

I bought her from a breeder and she is very tame. I can pick her up without biting and give her a cuddle only when she settles down though.

I was just wondering how long it tooks for your little guys to settle in?? I've only had her for 2 days but she doesn't want to come near me and when i do pick her up she just wants to go back into her cage or flys to the ground.

I'm hoping that this will stop in a week or so and she will want some more attention? I'm also worried that she will not get very attached to me as I work full time and can only spend the afternoons and nights with her.

Any advice would be so helpful :D
Thanks Trina
Lilu86

Post by Lilu86 »

It can take weeks for them to settle in as everyhting around them is completely foreign. Keep a routine and make everything normal. When you pass the cage talk quietly about neutral things and use mimic to help.

The amount of noise depends on the bird itself. They're just like us and have different personalities. Some are incredibly vocal whilst some will prefer talking to whistling, chattering to talking or maybe not make much sound at all. Mostly the birds pick noises they find comforting or interesting to mimic and play with. You may just have a very quiet bird.

You'll find as they gett older they'll start to come out of their shell a bit and be more confident in making noise and interacting with things.
Rember to smile, laugh and have patience.

Good luck, both your birds sound like lovely babies :)
Sianna and the girls,

Lily, 09, Green female
Lulu, 07, Turquoise female
trina.louise

Post by trina.louise »

Thank you :) , I will try my hardest to make her feel comfortable and hopefully she'll settle in in a few weeks!
caseybelle07

Post by caseybelle07 »

If Dexter is like my Flash he will pick up things sounds that he finds fun....shortly after getting his feathers he learned how to say "Weeeee" and "Little Bird." Dexters learning will largely depend on you and the sounds he hears and the phrases you teach him. Flash at one point learned to whine like the dog but luckily he forgot that :) Good luck they are super cuddly and sweet birds :)
Alicia89

Post by Alicia89 »

He has started to pick up different noises, he goes bonkers when he hears the lorikeets in the trees outside in the yard. I also have the radio on during the day and am always talking to him when I am either around him or he is out of the cage. Hello is coming its a little bit muffled at the moment.

It is amazing watching him learn and grow, hes finally learning how to use his feet when he is playing with toys, next step is to grab fruit and veg with his feet.

Hopefully once I figure out how to I will upload some pictures of him.

Thank you for all the advice! :)
Athame

Post by Athame »

I brought a 8 week IRN home a week ago, named Heeki and he only started making noise yesterday, i was looking up IRN on youtube and he sits right behind me at my desk and he loved it, when i turned it off he began giving a little noises until i put it on again, it was very cute to watch.

I do have a question if anyoen could help me, Heeki doesnt pick up anything with his feet or hold any food in his feet, as i am new to birds is this something they do at a certain age? He is tamed yet however we are making great progress and he is playing with toys however not holding them.
julie

Post by julie »

It depends what noises they hear at the breeders house too.some dont hear normal birdie sounds but rather more human sounds.You may also find that they make noises when they think no one is home or you are in another room ect. They are very food driven so if you sit around and eat something out of a packet that makes noise or eat something crunchy it gets their attention.What you want is for the bird to come to you on its own free will,open the cage door,walk away and sit where you normally would and eat and just act normal.If you see the bird watching talk to it and say in a nice voice something like "you want some of this" and show what you have. They can have some junk food occassionally so when they do actually come for what you have you can reward them.
taywer321

Post by taywer321 »

I brought my baby home when he was 12 weeks old.. and he was silent for about 2 weeks!! He didn't make a peep... And then suddenly was the opposite! Sometimes it just takes time for them to settle in and be comfortable enough to vocalize. :)
Alicia89

Post by Alicia89 »

Taywer: my Dexter looks exactly like your buddy, just alot younger at the moment :)

How do I upload pictures?
taywer321

Post by taywer321 »

I use photobucket to upload pictures. Go to photobucket.com and you can create albums. After you do that and you're ready to post one here you just copy the IMG URL below your pictures :) I would love to see pictures of him!
parebear

Post by parebear »

Hi, I have had my little 11 week old Copurnicus for 2 and a half days now and he is super affectionate. Loves being cuddled by everyone, very social with minimal biting. My 14 year old daughter and 7 year old son both feed him and play with him. He's learning to step up and is already happy to lie on his back in my hands. He sleep chirps the cutest little sounds (can get quite loud sometimes) and likes to be with the family all the time. We call him a he but we don't actually know. Hes such a different personality to our other ringnecks. We are besotted