two new baby ringnecks lunging at my tame 1yr old ringneck

Moderator: Mods

17seconds

two new baby ringnecks lunging at my tame 1yr old ringneck

Post by 17seconds »

hi all, long time reader.. first time poster.

I have a VERY tame 1 year old green ringneck and recently bought two new lutino ringnecks.
They were about 6 weeks when I got them, they are now about 11 weeks and show absolutely no aggression to me or my wife.

We previously handreared the older ringneck and its so tame it will go to anyone and NEVER bites.

These two are angels to my wife and I and to each other, but any time they go near the older ringneck, they lunge at it and hiss. I assume this is a defence mechanism to protect themselves from predators.

The green ringneck gets scared and runs for the hills now everytime they get close. when they were smaller, the green one took great interest in them even licking and cleaning them (the baby food off ofthem anyways)

the green one shows no aggression or jealousy towards them. its just that they refuse to interact with it.

any advice?
17seconds

Re: two new baby ringnecks lunging at my tame 1yr old ringne

Post by 17seconds »

hopefully someone will reply after seeing the pics :)

17seconds

Post by 17seconds »

anyone?
Maniiacy

Post by Maniiacy »

I have no idea what this might be, as I've never had this problem before. I hope you get help from someone soon, though. :/ Has there been no change since your first post?
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

The birds are too young to cause hurt to the older one. This is just a socializing process. Start feeding them as a trio use 2 separate bowls at first and after a week feed with one. They will settle down eventually but do this immediately and always observe to separate if necessary. Do not wait for the younger birds to develop an antisocial tendency.
lene1949

Post by lene1949 »

If the young ones have been handfed from a very young age, they probably don't see the older RN as one of their own kind. So, I would just follow the advice given here.
17seconds

Post by 17seconds »

Thanks for the advice :)

Since the first post, the behaviour has changed very little.
One of the babies will let the green ringneck get very close and even sleep 4 or 5 inches from each other. It only seems to open its beak at the green ringneck, not really lunging anymore.

The other baby seems to lunge every chance that the green one gets within range. And when they're together, they both attack the green one.

I tried keeping them on the same playstand and it always ends with the babies chasing the green ringneck or trying to bite it's tail.

I've tried feeding them at the same time from the same spoon.. and there are no issues then. It just seems when they're full, bored or exposed (as they possibly think the green one wants to attack them) .. they start lunging. I'll keep trying the feedings and watch for improvement.

Hopefully it will stop.. I'll keep you updated!
Thanks again :)