New Ring neck at home

Moderator: Mods

hiromilizard

New Ring neck at home

Post by hiromilizard »

Hi,

Just bought a ring neck, got it from someone whom claim that the bird is super tame and will not bite,
however it has been drawing blood from me. its day 6 now with me,
I'm just confused is this considered bluffing or its not used to me? the bird is about 1 yr 5 mths. has some pinkish feather on the neck but no black ring yet.

one moment he will step up to my hand, and once i put him back and get him to step up again, he will bite.

just wondering will this biter be a tame bird once again?

thks!!!
taywer321

Re: New Ring neck at home

Post by taywer321 »

When you bring home a new ringneck, there is definitely an adjustment period that needs to be had. Especially when you're bringing home an older bird, and you don't know for sure what the bird has been through. He is being put into a new and unfamiliar environment so definitely give him a break! As far as taming goes and bonding with your bird, I have a few suggestions. One of my birds I rescued and was 6 years old when I brought him home. He was not tame and very hard to handle but I worked with him every day, and by the next year I am cuddling him, petting him and have very much bonded with him. Here are my suggestions:
-First off, give him some space! Sit next to his cage in a chair and read to him or speak softly to him without staring at him directly. Allow him to become comfortable with your presence and be soothed by your voice.
-Share your meals with him! Birds are flock creatures and meal times are a very social time for them. Allow him to have bits of the meals you eat and get him comfortable with taking treats/food from your hand.. this in time will enable him to associate your hand with goodies, and he'll be less inclined to bite it!
-Play games with him! It doesn't take much to entertain my babies, and something as simple as peekaboo or target training is a great way to bond with them. You'll probably find he'll be very interested in these games. These birds are very intelligent creatures and need to be stimulated mentally to be happy.

The biggest thing to remember is that his aggression is probably stemming from fear of you, particularly your hand. You must build trust with him and give him absolutely no reason to fear you. :) Trust me, it can be done. My rescue baby went from being a crazy, wild mess to a loving, sweet companion. It just times lots of TIME and CONSISTENCY on your part in order to build the desired relationship with your new bird :D
hiromilizard

Post by hiromilizard »

Thanks for the advise, currently he is chained on a stand, do you think for taming purposes it will be better to leave him on a stand on to change him into a cage? seems like leaving on the stand is bored for him, no toys and chewing for him

thks
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Chained? Please do NOT chain a bird. This is cruel and there is no need. That is why many of us clip the birds wings.. if you do not know how please get someone trained to do it. There is an adjustment period as Taywer said. It takes time and patience to build a relationship. All birds CAN and WILL bite from time to time, I dont believe when others say birds dont bite.. its natural! but you can either turn it into a problem by punishing or making a deal about it or you can ignore it like the bite never happened or simply walk away for a couple minutes. Chaining it will only make this worse. Never punish a bird. It does not understand punishment.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
taywer321

Post by taywer321 »

Lauren is absolutely correct. There is no reason for your bird to be chained and with this type of treatment you will never have the desired relationship with your bird. He needs to have a cage, and you'll have to take a few bites until you begin working with him. There's lots of info on the web about taming your bird for handling and chaining him to a stand will just make him feel more helpless and cause more biting and aggression. I could never do such a thing to my birds. I suggest you get a cage and some patience to work with the bird every single day..
hiromilizard

Post by hiromilizard »

seems like i will get him a cage asap..
thks for the info...
taywer321

Post by taywer321 »

The problem with bringing home a bird this age is that you have no idea what he has been through. He could have been neglected/mistreated and there could be a very valid reason for his behavior and reaction to seeing your hands coming at him. Please be patient and spend time with him every day. Owning a companion parrot is a very demanding job, and much like caring for a baby or small child. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress with the birdy.