Chewing?????

Moderator: Mods

windowcleaner

Chewing?????

Post by windowcleaner »

Sam is now 4 months old & is extremely hand tame now, stepping up without any encouragement. Initially we had to be patient with his biting, although this problem has gome completely.
However he has recently developed a liking to biting & chewing clothes, which becomes a problem when you're handling him. Once he has a hold of your clothes there is certainly no releasing him.
Has anyone any ideas on how to dissuade him from this habit, thanks
Lochie94

Re: Chewing?????

Post by Lochie94 »

I haven't got anything really helpful to say however I change into an old top when I'm going to have our IRN on my shoulder as he chews my clothes too. Sorry not very helpful I know. :?
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

yes my little guy can be a bit of a chewer sometimes. two solutions (i use both)

- get a "bird shirt". mine is an old military shirt, thick strong material. great in all weather, whether hot or cold. also has a collar which is good protection when he snuggles right into my neck, also has the lapels on the shoulders which are great for him to stand on. the shirt is well loved, so lots of tatty bits for him to chew at, also buttons. Also useful if they poo on you, it doesnt matter so much as its a bird shirt...
HOWEVER, as you want to discourage the behaviour, the second solution has been better - especially if the occasional ear nips are starting

- make yourself a fantastic new necklace to the horror/humour of everyone around you. I made this on a whim, was just a leather strap from a broken necklace, and shoved whatever toys on it i could - bits of lego, beads, wooden blocks, folded leather scraps, bells, you name it! - i wear this when he gets in moods or i know hes gonna be on my shoulder a while (like when working). despite all the other toys hes ever had (even though this is bits of the same toys) hes never liked anything as much!!! Basically it acts as a distraction from your clothes/face

goodluck! further if youre finding him acting nauughty it might be from lack of stimulation. As hes starting to grow, you can increase training (not periods, just complexity of tricks, as he masters the simple ones). two fantastic websites ive found are:

http://parrots.ie/vb/content.php?184-training

http://trainedparrot.com/
windowcleaner

Post by windowcleaner »

Thanks for the help guys, Im gonna try what you say :D :D :D