question about pooping

Moderator: Mods

lene1949

question about pooping

Post by lene1949 »

My baby Alexandrine has not pooped on me, yet, in the 5 days I've had him... It's not that Max doesn't poop, but he seems to wait until I put him down somewhere else... I can be sitting with him on my chest for over an hour - it can be before or after feeding, and it doesn't make any difference, but as soon as I put him down he does a large poop and sometimes two.

Is this normal for such a young bird? Can birds be toilet trained?

Thanks
Lene
ellieelectrons

Re: question about pooping

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Lene

You may be lucky. Although mine will poop on me, I notice that quite often before the step up for me they will poop and sometimes will try to avoid pooping on me. You can train your birds to poop in particular places. I saw a video or read a blog entry about how Barbara Heidenreich does it. One thing she does mention is that if your bird is trained not to poop on you, then you have an extra responsibility of not making your bird wait too long before it can poop as she has said that some will hold it in and that's not healthy.

Ellie.
lene1949

Post by lene1949 »

Thanks, Ellie

Max is only very young, 33 days old to be exact. I'm pretty sure the breeder didn't toilet train him... :roll: I just find it very interesting, that he waits till I put him down, whether it's his sleeping quarters, his cage or on my bed for when I take photos of him.
Melika

Post by Melika »

How lucky! Hane doesn't care (we're working on that) but I once handraised a baby starling and he NEVER pooped on me. He would jump off and land somewhere else to go potty.

Like Ellie said, you have the responsibility to put him on a stand or something appropriate often enough for him to go. You can even train the, to poop on command. ^^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Sixty Fiver

Post by Sixty Fiver »

Melika wrote:How lucky! Hane doesn't care (we're working on that) but I once handraised a baby starling and he NEVER pooped on me. He would jump off and land somewhere else to go potty.

Like Ellie said, you have the responsibility to put him on a stand or something appropriate often enough for him to go. You can even train the, to poop on command. ^^
Amore poops on command and is very conscientious about where she does this and will let you know when she has to go... Lucce is no quite as discriminate about where he poops but as far as I know will not do this on people (and hasn't) but if you are wearing a toque or hat he will poop while perched up top.

Have been trying to deter him from using people's heads as lookouts and landing pads and nearly every time he lands there gets picked up and put on mine or other people's shoulders or hands.

They came to me as mature birds and got a lot of excellent love attention so are well trained and socialized.