Considering an IRN, need help to make right fit

Moderator: Mods

Labreet

Considering an IRN, need help to make right fit

Post by Labreet »

Hello, i'm new to the forum. I have owned other parrots/birds in the past but have not owned an IRN nor known anyone that has owned one. I have found one that i would like to adopt as i tend to prefer rescue animals, however, i need some insight on whether this is the most appropriate adoption. The IRN is just shy of 3 years old. He lives in a fairly quiet home owned by a young man. It is apparent that the IRN doesn't care for the grandmother but they are telling me he just needs lots of work and does like the young man's girlfriend. This is not the birds first home and they wondered about the previous owner not being very nice to the bird. He would go to me and did not bite me but clearly wanted his owner. He seemed very stressed. Says a few words but his owner said no matter how hard he tries to work with the bird it doesn't actually say anything to him only when he leaves the room. The bird actually will not hold any food or toys in his feet to eat or play. Is this normal? I'm being told he has never taken food from them in the 8 months they've owned him. Health wise it appears to be a healthy bird. My main concern is whether or not this bird will always prefer men and if perhaps i need to continue my search. I do want to give this bird a good home i just don't want a bird that never warms up to me.

Any help you can provide would be SUPER!
julie

Re: Considering an IRN, need help to make right fit

Post by julie »

I say yes get him/her. From what you described the bird sounds perfect and should make a great companion with a little time and effort from both of you. With the not picking up things with the feet it may be because it hasnt really had to,if you give him things like fresh beans or peas in a pod something thats tasty and long im pretty sure he would eventually start picking things up.
bec

Post by bec »

as an owner of a disabled rescue bird i highly recommend it
it can take longer to tame but well worth it
i had had trivi here for 2 years & altho i still havent got a fully tame bird
(trivi was hurt before i got her and has great mistrust of hands)
i do have a very loving bird she greets me warmly now and talks to me alot
from what you have said the bird your looking at will already come to you so you wont have so many of the issues we have had with trivi
good luck with your decision
my vote is you sound like the perfect person for this bird
Labreet

Post by Labreet »

I really want to thank everyone for their words of wisdom and support. I did a lot of soul searching over the weekend and decided that i would really love to give this bird a home. Any animal that hasn't been socialized very much will be fearful of new people and i would hate to walk away from him based on a one time experience. He comes with a nice big cage, toys, etc. and i think bringing him into our home and giving him some time to feel secure and then i will try and work with him a bit at a time. He didn't tear holes in me and other than avoiding me didn't show any signs of outward aggression which makes me optimistic. I have brought home two dogs from the animal shelter and they came with tons of baggage but over time they are the most wonderfully amazing family members i could have ever asked for so maybe this is the same type of situation. Wish me luck and i will post pics of him and continue to do my research along the way.
Labreet

Post by Labreet »

Oh and about the not picking things up with his feet, such as nuts, etc. I think you may be right so i will offer treats of various types as he is on a zupreem diet at this time. Previously the owner did offer fruits and veggies but had stopped in an apt. situation due to the potential for rodent/ant situations. Time and trial/error we will see how he does. Thanks again. I'll be back for tips/advise along the way. hey? maybe someday i'll even have some advise for someone else someday. :D
bec

Post by bec »

the advice been comes easy as you get to know your bird you will pick up things then you will see a post & think oh hey i know how to help this person!!!
good luck cant wait to hear all about him
Labreet

Post by Labreet »

I cannot tell you how thrilled i am to have adopted this bird. Thank you to everyone for the encouragement. He is an absolute doll. He has only been with us for a couple weeks now and is still very cautious and shy but little by little he becomes more comfortable around us. I have a lot to learn but i'm thrilled that we made the leap and took him into our home. He does prefer men but i'm hoping over time he'll grow to trust me more. He is the sweetest guy though. I just laugh at all of the noises, sounds, words he throws together. He is quieter than i expected actually. when he wants to be heard man alive the neighbors hear him but typically he is pretty quiet and content. With help from the local bird store i have come up with lots of inexpensive toys for him to entertain himself with. I'm sure i'll be on this forum alot looking for advise. Thanks again for the support!