hi

Moderator: Mods

sean1970

hi

Post by sean1970 »

Hi i am new to owning birds and i have got a 12 week old IRN, i have read other posts on the site and found lots of inf ormation on how to train him which i have found very interesting and helpful, i would just like to ask, at the moment he wont let me touch him and i want to let him out of his cage, but i did this on the first day and could not get him back in the cage for about 3 hours and even then i had to catch him in a towel, which i know distressed him and i dont want too do this again but i do want to let him out, i just dont know what to do, as yet he still does not respond to me offering food, he seems very scared but settleing in a little i think, i have only had him for 6 days, please if anyone has any tips to help me i would be grateful. Thanks
Wessel Gordon

Re: hi

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi Sean

Have you figured out what his favorite snack is?

In my case it worked to take some cheese and hold it inside the cage with the bird on my shoulder so she had to walk down my arm to get to the treat. When she sat on the perch she got rewarded by having her favorite snack.

Hope this helps.

Wessel
sean1970

Post by sean1970 »

hi thanks for your reply, i have found out that he likes grapes and strawberrys, but the trouble is i cant temp him with them, because when i let him out the cage he didnt come anywhere near me, i tried putting food on top of his cage but he didnt go anywhere near it he just sat by the window looking out and flew around the room a little, but again when i tried to go close to him he went mad and flew off.
And even when hes in his cage and i offer food on my hand, or go anywhere near him he gets upset.
Since getting him i have spent alot of time with him trying to help him settle in even taking time off work, but i determined and will do anything it takes to show him im not a threat.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

In that case try putting a bunch of grapes or something about halfway from where he's perched when he's outside and where you're sitting then "ignore" him. IRN's are very curious birds, especially if it involves food.That way he has to come at least some distance towards you to get his treat. The trick is going to be to not talk or react to him in any way.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Thanks, Ariahna.

I couldn't have said it any better than you just did. Good point about the staring too...in my case, depending on which bird it is, it will either try and hide or bluff.
sean1970

Post by sean1970 »

hi thanks for your replys, his cage is about 450mm square and 600 mm high, ihave tried having him with me both in my bedroom and front room some where he can see me, i talk to him gently for 4 hours or more a day.
What i dont want to do is let him out of his cage then not be able to get him back in and have to resort to using the towel again, and cause damage to the bond i am trying to bond.
Also the breeder told me he was hand tame but im not sure how honest they were, wether his makes a difference or not i dont no.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Sean,

It doesn't sound like the bird is handtame but teaching it to go into it's cage can be done with patience...and a lot of time.