I'm not sure if this has been asked already but...

Moderator: Mods

srilanking

I'm not sure if this has been asked already but...

Post by srilanking »

what is the age that it is easiest to train an IRN? also do they need to be fed pellets, I'd rather just feed them natural fruits and vegitables etc... thanks for any help!
julie

Re: I'm not sure if this has been asked already but...

Post by julie »

They are easier to train if they have been hand raised and hand tamed.There is a difference between being hand fed/raised and being hand tame. I got my boy from a pet store when he was around 3yrs old and i brought him as untame,it didnt take long for him to get used to us and become tame BUT i would definately say he was hand tame at some point before we got him. I would highly reccomend not just jumping in and grabbing the first one you see if you dont feel some sort of connection with the bird,when i say connection I mean like just say the irn is actually interested in seeing what you are doing and listening to your voice ect when you go to see it,if it wants absolutely nothing to do with you and tries madly to get away from you I would keep searching for the right one.
srilanking

Post by srilanking »

oh yeah totally i would never take a bird that was uncomfortable with me or anyone in my family, but at what age would it be easiest to get one to be trained and by trained i mean like routine is it some set time like within a year or the first few months? thanks again for all your help!
Melika

Post by Melika »

No, pellets are NOT required. You can feed a IRN quite happily on veggies, fruits, and seeds (they DO need some seed which contains many healthy fats, etc.).

For more comprehensive information and links to research, try this topic posted in the Diet section here. http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... f=3&t=8078

I don't know what age is easiest to train a parrot, but I do know short periods of time every day are more useful than long training sessions. It is also easier to remain upbeat and positive in short sessions- which is important.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
srilanking

Post by srilanking »

hey, thanks so much!