Sexing IRN

Moderator: Mods

Yvette

Sexing IRN

Post by Yvette »

Hey everyone!

My IRN is about 8-9 months old, and is copying EVERYTHING that i'm teaching her. So i'm confused, she's quite young, doesn' t have a ring (although I THINK I may see one coming, it's very feint). The lady I bought her from said she thought she was a girl but I don't mind either way..... I was just informed that the females generally don't sing, copy, or bow to other birds.... She bows and dances and says "whattaya dpoing? Hmm?" To my male budgie.

So i'm really confused!! My questions are as follows:
1. What is the earliest time an IRN can form a ring?
2. Do female IRNs ever dance and bow?
3. Do you think Keekie is a silly name for my IRN if it's a boy =P?

Thanks!
Attachments
My IRN with her favourite budgie, Little Blue
My IRN with her favourite budgie, Little Blue
Shane7285

Re: Sexing IRN

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi Yvette

I will try and answer your questions as best I can.

1. From my reading on here, a ring can form around 18 months old, maybe a bit younger. I think what you are seeing now is the normal ring that even the females have. My male is 2 years next month, and has only 1 black feather in his ring, but I am expecting to see a big change over the next few months while he moults.
2. In regards to the dancing part, I am unsure as I only have a male. But I think up until they show the ring and mature, they can show both male and female behaviours. I have seen people post on here about a similar topic, so maybe a search at the top might give you more info. Also for some myths about ringnecks see here http://www.indianringneck.com/myth/.
3. I don't think Keekie is a silly name for a boy. It doesn't sound girly to me, I think if you are happy with it then stick with it.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards

Shane
Yvette

Post by Yvette »

Thanks!! yes that helps a LOT...

Coz when I first got her she was showing a lot more signs of being a female... Where now, 6 months later she/he is showing a lot more male signs.... HE/she knows about 60 words and is only 9 months old!

thanks for your help....

Now for the waiting game!
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi Yvette

I have a 6 year old female that dances and bows if she wants some attention from me while I never noticed any of my 3 males doing it so like Shane said that might be a myth. Seems to depend on each individual bird if they're going to dance and bow.
haider.kk

Post by haider.kk »

i would like to answer your first question as i dont know the answers of 2nd and 3rd :)

1. when i bought my Pikoo he was 1 year old (he's a male) there was no ring on his neck only slight green line .. so i searched internet for about 1 week for this .. i found out that a bird can have his ring on his back when he is 18 months old .. complete ring on next molt ..
as far as the case of female IRN .. female IRN's dont get a Complete Rose Ring on there neck

my IRN is now 18 months old (completely) and you can see his ring comming
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/68 ... 02akg.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/img0001at.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/img0001at.jpg/

i hope it helped

Haider
rod038

Post by rod038 »

I have had 1 Male Indian Ringneck get his ring at around 15 months and I have had Females display and dance like Males. Most of my Males get their ring at around 27 months.
Yvette

Post by Yvette »

Wow 27 months that's a loongggg time!

Well, either way, my ringneck does pretty much all the different behaviours... Talks A LOT, sings dances, trills, bows... Does tricks!!!
I taught her 'spin around' and 'jump' so far... Although she won't do it for my boyfriend but she'll listen to me (smart bird hehe)

So i'm thinking about DNA testing her/him, but i'd feel so mean taking out feathers!! I don't want to hrt my little one =(
Because the girl that I got her off said she though she was a girl.. So we call her "little miss!!!" (her name is keekie though)
and now she says it everyday.

be funny if she's a boy... Because my voice is quite high pitched!! And she copies anything i say on a daily basis like WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU CHEEKY RINGNECK!?! (She climbs the drapes when i'm not looking - for attention i'm assuming because I always have to get her down)

Can the vet get her DNA without hurting her? I just REALLY want to know!!! (especially since she is in love with my male budgie...)
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

hey yvette

firstly, your little one is goorrgeous. She seems about the same age as salvador, and hes just starting to speak now - he tries reeeeallly hard its so cute. I cant believe shes talking so much!

I had him dna tested, and really glad i did! it was very cheap (about AU$20 including postage) and also did not require anything painful. They can test from any newly fallen feathers - this can be down (the little white ones) or larger feathers. They do NOT require you to pluck feathers yourself, nor to take blood samples from the foot (as ive read on some sites) so it doesnt have to be a painful operation :D

in terms of the boy/girl behaviour, to tell sex, you may aswell flip a coin as your guess would be just as good. Even a guess from a professional breeder would be just that - a guess. DNA all the way...or wait a faaar too long time (i couldnt :lol: )

and as for the name, i dont think so. My first ringneck was a hen. I didnt know at the time, and as she was a rescue bird and had a pretty hard time beforehand, i named her iggy after iggy pop. Then figured out 'he' was a 'she' but the name stuck and really suited her. i believe only you can tell if the name suits her(or him) or not...
Sunny_girl

Post by Sunny_girl »

I think I need to get my baby "girl" DNA tested..

Sunny puts her head back, pins her eyes and clucks (she does this for a cuddle) BUT THEN she can make a heart shape with her wings, swaying and pinning her eyes!

The weird part is that she tilts her head back to me and my boyfriend but she ONLY dances for him....?

I heard that parrots know if their owners are male / female and will act accordingly- is that not true?

Does Sunny love my boyfriend more than me? :(

Sunny just turned 9 months old and has been "displaying" a lot more lately.